Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2010 Ford Escape 2.5L Engine Swap Questions

More
2 years 7 months ago #51176 by Dtnel
Got some more photos tonight when I swung by to take a few mote parts off then took off again. 

Couple more questions. Should I swap the EGR tube from the original engine to the new used engine? 

We'll be swapping the injectors. Have new o-rings for the injectors we'll be swapping over. 

Forgot to bring my timing tool just to verify the cams are in sync with the crank. 

If the timing is a tooth, two or more off I take it we should pull the crank pulley, set things up according to SI then reseal the timing cover? 

Got things cleaned up almost ready to start slapping parts on and going the install direction with the exception that have to pull injectors, intake & remainder of wiring harness from old engine. 

Here's some pics of the intake and exhaust side of things. Pulled exhaust last week mid week and intake, coolant pump, etc tonight. 

Can't recall who said to replace the vacuum tube on the block under the intake. I'll be replacing that and coolant hose as well. Cheap insurance for the owner. 

When I'm done milking this job I won't be doing engine swaps . Sure I enjoy this but just don't like the liability that goes with it, you feel like you'll be married to it especially being it's a neighbor friend down the road. 

Would rather stay on things like keys, quick and dirty small stuff. Not afraid to do work just not bring in a shop environment swapping used engines isn't worth it to me. Only takes one engine to set you back that you may not be familiar with due to SI, etc... I think if engines are in future remanufactured or new engines will be the way I go. Less worries, better warranty plus with warranty parts house will back you. Won't get that to far beyond a month to a few with used engines if at all plus the deal of being married to it up above. 

Now to try to add photos. May have to go act like I'm editing them all then save as it'll save to a different format vs the original file I've had issues previously mentioned. 

Well it says my photos bring mime files aren't allowed. I'll post them up later today. Got other things such as good beverages, etc waiting on me. 

Got this error... Whatever kunea is....  hmmm....  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51213 by Dtnel
IS this a mfr only part or can it be had at a auto parts store? Can't recall the name of the item off the top of my head but has to do with vent system under intake on the engine. Possibly a EGR part?

More
2 years 7 months ago #51214 by Dtnel
To many photos to edit and upload so added them with a few short video clips to my dropbox so I'll add a link

www.dropbox.com/sh/qw9zsq7cck5a7ho/AACm7...xa-IwJeAbPaVxla?dl=0

More
2 years 7 months ago #51225 by Tyler
That's a PCV hose. They used to be rubber only, and failed pretty often - I just changed one in an '05 Mazda 6 2.3L. :lol: The 2.5's got updated to a solid pipe with quick connects. Never seen one of those leak. Unless the pipe is physically damaged, I'd leave it alone.

Kunena is the forum software we currently use. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dtnel

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
2 years 7 months ago #51229 by Noah
Sorry for the late reply, I must have changed an email setting...
As far as I can see, if you must remove the balancer then the bolt and washer should be replaced.
But if the horizontal camshaft alignment slots line up with the crankshaft locking pin installed and the alignment hole in the crank pulley matches the threaded boss in the timing cover then the timing can safely assumed to be correct.

Regarding the partnership between salvage yards, I am unaware of any official alliance. (In my area any way)
Naturally you build relationships and help yards that help you when you are stuck holding a difficult warranty or need an odd ball part for a good customer.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
2 years 7 months ago #51340 by Dtnel
Little bit more of a update. Figured I'd just create a video. I didn't even listen to it so.... hope it don't sound bad. I'm guessing if I listened to it I may not post it?

There's a peek into the intake and exhaust side of the replacement engine that's going back in along with some other stuff. 

Think I'll get to the oil pan tonight then move forward after letting it sit upside down to seal the best for 24hrs after installing then we'll throw the remaining parts on tomorrow or I should say later today as it's already Saturday. I'll go over for an hour or two tonight and then go back during the day today.

IF it's a bad video then I apologize. Doing the best I could. Probably not the greatest narrator.

I'll grab the timing tool and if all goes well I'll make a quick separate video of that setup as there's not really a video that gets into and quickly addresses it.

It'll be focused on the timing part.

Maybe I should just do the work, video it with 2 takes each time or just do a extra clip each time I mess up then cut, paste the video this winter when weather is bad.

Get alot of content while warm weather then have something extra to do when cold and cabt get work done outside though even at 15, 30 below 0 I've still managed to get the work done in the past.

Enjoy the quick 3 min clip....

More
2 years 7 months ago #51341 by Dtnel
Had to make the video unavailable till this evening as have to edit it as I think I could get some flack so better be safe than sorry.

After I post this I'll drop some photos of the inside of the rear of the engine via the inspection hole custom made by the piston. Just a little bit bigger than the hole needed to get a endoscope thru the hole.

Photos would've been better but the Snap-On scope had a dead camera head when I went to check it early this morning before I left for a couple hours.

More
2 years 7 months ago #51342 by Dtnel

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds