Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

92 camry no spark

More
7 years 2 months ago #6167 by chim chim
92 camry no spark was created by chim chim
I have a 92 camry with the 3 liter v6. It has a new distributer and coil but now spark still. I tested the igniter after finding scanner danner info. there was voltage at the ict but would not force a spark when grounded. so I got another igniter off ebay plugged it in and tried to start it then the igniter started smoking and I took it off right away. stupidly I didn't look close enough first but the igniter numbers weren't exactly the same. now when I plug in the old igniter and check the ict it only reads 4 volts. My ? is have I fried the ecm? I haven't seen any info on testing that. Have I fried it Irrepairablly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6172 by ImBack218
Replied by ImBack218 on topic 92 camry no spark
Hey

Put your old ignitor back in see whether you have coil control. There will be 2 terminals on the ignition coil. One terminal should have 12v constantly with the key in the 'On' position and also in the cranking position. The other terminal will be alternating between 12v and 0v. Do you have a test light? Connect it to battery ground when you are doing the test. Your bulb should stay lit on one side when you are cranking, and it should flash on the other terminal.

Hopefully you haven't damaged anything.

More
7 years 2 months ago #6174 by chim chim
Replied by chim chim on topic 92 camry no spark
There is power to both wires in on position using a test light and both flicker with cranking. I thought I was sure the igniter was bad thats why i tried a different one. I followed what scanner danner said in a youtube vid about testing and trying to force a spark with the ICT wire on the igniter harness.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #6175 by ImBack218
Replied by ImBack218 on topic 92 camry no spark
It shouldn't be flickering on both sides. It should only be flickering on one side. Can you test it again with a multimeter? It might just be current draw from the starter motor causing a small flicker, but we need to be sure that it's a constant voltage around 12volts. Also, can you switch your test light to battery positive and do the same test again on both sides?

What did you do to the ICT wire to try and force a spark? Also what colour is this wire.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by ImBack218.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds