Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2001 Ford ranger 3.0L lean on bank 1 &2

More
3 years 2 months ago #46618 by Mike T
Okay guys I am getting butt kicked first things first. On a 2001 Ford ranger 3.0L can after market air breather be the reason for these codes? Short term fuel trims stay around zero on ideal and long term stay around 20. When I bring the ideal up all the numbers go up. So I didn’t think vac leak but I checked over and over just in case. The o2 sensors have movement on the graft. What should my highs and lows be? It’s like 150 to 750. The evap system had a issue with the vent solenoid. But I fixed that and I still can’t get it to pass a evap test. It keeps saying it can’t hold vacuum. I smoke tested it and no leaks. I have done everything I know to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46619 by Hardtopdr2
Your fuel tank may be rusted out or lock ring broken from corrosion. For the evap code as for the 20 long term and gets worse off idle i would say to check maf/map and fuel pressure while its running.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46620 by juergen.scholl
Some food for thoughts:

Based on worsening fuel trims under load/higher rpm is there enough fuel volume?

Do they sell E85 in your place?

A vacuum leak between MAF sensor and throttle plate will maintain its effect on fuel trim at higher rpm as well.

What do the rear O2 sensors indicate?

An expert is someone who knows each time more on each time less, until he finally knows absolutely everything about absolutely nothing.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #46623 by Speedwagon

Hardtopdr2 wrote: Your fuel tank may be rusted out or lock ring broken from corrosion. For the evap code as for the 20 long term and gets worse off idle i would say to check maf/map and fuel pressure while its running.

It should have a plastic tank. My 2002 Ranger is all plastic. The retaining ring that keeps the pump in is plastic, as are most everything attached to the tank. The only metal parts are the pump and level sensor.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Speedwagon.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46625 by Hardtopdr2
Yep i just looked it up to be sure and it is plastic. There is a vent hose on the highest part of tank with some metal clips i would stick your hand up there and see if it is still intact.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46630 by Mike T
I checked the MAF it was clean and seems to working properly on the scanner. When i did the vent solenoid test while watching the fuel tank pressure it held. since i fixed the wiring on the vent solenoid there is no evap code it just wont pass the test on my scan tool. said it wont hold vacuum. and this forum keeps telling me error

More
3 years 2 months ago #46632 by Mike T
the down stream 02 will not show much at first then it will start working just like the other ones. i checked fuel pressure it looks really good. 65 psi. i checked the evap purge valve and it took me a min to figure out how it worked but it seems to be working properly also. the egr valve wasnt working properly on my scope so we changed it and still the the LT fuel trim is high. it has came down from 22-25 to 18-20 so i know i have fixed some of the problem but i cant find any more. Thats why I wonder if the after market cold air intake air filter could be a problem.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46633 by Mike T
I was just thinking it might be leaking some air around the MAF sensor. but if it is it isnt much

More
3 years 2 months ago #46637 by Hardtopdr2
Oh just remembered the pcv valve to intake plenum tubing check that tubing at the three hose conections going to pcv and check pcv for sticking open or closed.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46641 by Mike T
Already checked the pcv to it seemed to be working properly

More
3 years 2 months ago #46642 by Hardtopdr2
Was the tubing loose ie you could turn each piece easily ?

More
3 years 2 months ago #46660 by Mike T
No it wasn’t loose and it was hard to get it out and back it the valve cover so I think that seal is good too.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46661 by Mike T
The next time I get a chance to work on it I’m going to hook the smoke machine up to the intake and see if I can find a vac leak but I went as far as spraying starting fluid to try to find a vac leak and didn’t find one. The engine like has not came back on yet as far as I know so it might be fixed enough... but not fixed enough for me the LT fuel trims are still off. Around 18 to 20. I don’t know what number the light is set on.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46662 by Hardtopdr2
Ok one thing to look at would be maf sensor see if it is reading more flow than you should also check ect, and iat readings.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46668 by Mike T
What is a acceptable air flow at the maf?

More
3 years 2 months ago #46674 by Matt T

Mike T wrote: Thats why I wonder if the after market cold air intake air filter could be a problem.

It could be skewing the MAF readings. Also if it's one of the oiled ones it may have contaminated the MAF.

Mike T wrote: What is a acceptable air flow at the maf?

At hot no load idle anything under one gram per second per liter would be suspicious. So at least 3 g/S for that engine. Since you say the trims get worse off idle I'd do a WOT 3rd gear pull and calculate the VE.

www.scanshare.io/Tools/VeCalculator
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hardtopdr2, Mike T

More
3 years 2 months ago #46685 by Mike T
Okay I will check that out tomorrow he is supposed to be bringing the truck back.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46708 by Mike T
MAF reading 4gs at ideal

More
3 years 2 months ago #46713 by Mike T
Well I smoke tested the intake today and found a Rubber plug in the Side of the air intake pipe and it was leaking a little so I sealed it and it got a little better but that’s all I found and the MAF g/s reading was 4.0 ish at idle so I’m still at a loose. I didn’t get to do the 3rd gear WOT. They had to take the truck this evening and don’t know when they will bring it back for sure. But I have to be missing some simple test or something I haven’t thought of this lean code is kicking my ***. Incase the pic don’t send theLT fuel trim is around 15 and 15 now
Attachments:

More
3 years 2 months ago #46714 by Mike T
O and ST fuel trim goes negative when I bring up the rpm now like it should I believe not a lot just some.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds