Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Rewiring instrument cluster 2008 Ford Sport trac

More
3 years 2 months ago #46537 by TG53
I have a project where I am building a 1953 F100 restomod 4x4 using a 2008 Sport Trac chasis, drive train, and electrical components. I am putting in a Dakota Digital Instrument Dash made to fit in the 53 truck so I will not be using the 08 Instrument cluster. The problem is when the 08 Instrument cluster is unhooked, the truck will not crank. I believe it is the anti-theft components that run through the instrument cluster that is causing this. Does anyone know if there are wires going into and out of the 08 instrument cluster that should be connected together to bypass this issue so the truck will start? I have wiring diagrams if I need to post them.
Thanks,
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #46546 by Hardtopdr2
Unfortunately when doing a mod like that with that modern of a computer setup the pcm bcm abs and instrument cluster have to be used because of vin and mileage matching. The only posibility of using a Dakota dash is if they have one that is programmable for this application. Otherwise burying the 08 cluster under dash and feeding those inputs to the dakota dash would be a workaround.

Edit:
They do offer a obd2/can interface to feed your cluster but you will want to talk to the custom dash department on what you want and the no start issue due to no vin/antitheft/mileage issue
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Hardtopdr2. Reason: Added more info

More
3 years 2 months ago #46564 by TG53
Thanks for the reply. I will contact them.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds