Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 Naturally Aspirated engine-Are these waveforms off?

More
3 years 3 months ago #46333 by bensauto
Hello! I am working on a 2012 Jaguar XF 5.0 Naturally Aspirated engine...we put a used motor in and it sets a p0019 crank cam correlation sensor B fault immediately on startup. I can control variable timing on all 4 cams & the engine change is about the same. I scoped bank 1 intake & exhaust cam signals to compare to bank 2. I couldn't find any comparable waveforms. My question is, are the attached waveforms different enough to set a p0019? They sure are close, but I wanted someone else's opinion. Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #46334 by Matt T
Just eyeballing the pictures with a ruler it looks like there's about 20* difference between the banks. Though I'd look into any possible re-learns before I tore into anything since the engine is new to the vehicle.

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Matt T.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensauto

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #46335 by Chad
The p0019 re-enforces the thought but, in general, I would hesitate to definitively call a timing issue, based off of a Cam/Crank correlation waveform, without comparing to a known-good.

This is a Cams/Crank correlation waveform for a GM 3.6L.

The intake cams line up and stack, perfectly. The exhaust cams have an offset. Without comparing to a Known-Good, you would think that an exhaust cam is out of time. It's not. This is a Known-Good Cams/Crank correlation with new chains.

I checked the Pico Waveform Library for a Known-Good. No success.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Chad.

More
3 years 3 months ago #46340 by Tyler
I also couldn't find any known good to compare to. :(

IMO, the cam/crank waveform is fun and all, but the car is telling you what's wrong. Either the cam timing is off, or the reluctor wheel for that cam is shifted/damaged. Both will require disassembly to inspect and repair. A quick look at service info shows a TON of special tools for checking and setting timing on this engine.

I think I'd take my chances on another used engine before going down that path. :silly:

More
3 years 1 month ago #48091 by DooMHaMMeR247
I have a 2010 right now, it does make a lot of noise fairly certain there is a mechanical fault due to lack of oil. I will show you a know bad and will post know good if customers repair the vehicle. I believe bank 2 is 180 off. Has p0019 and about 40 other codes. But the 0019 returns immediately.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds