Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2000 Peugeot 206 1.4i unstable rpm, stalling

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45686 by smith007
Hi.
I've had this issue for almost a year now. Went to 3 or 4 shops and they found nothing.
When downshifting manual gearbox, mostly at turns or red lights, sometimes rpm drops way low to 400 rpm or even stalls the engine while the car is moving. Here is a video going downhill in serpentines, down shift from 4th gear:

A significant change occured 2 months back, when I used throttle body cleaner from Liqui Moly. Now problem occurs mostly when downshifting mutiple times in short order while decelerating.
Before that the issue was significantly larger: rough starting, rough idle, stalled very often while driving.

What I did in the last 9 months:
cleaned MAP sensor and later replaced it
cleaned IAC valve and later replaced it
new air intake temperature sensor.
new rocket cover gasket, intake body gasket, 4x intake seals.
Fuel injector cleaner from Liqui Moly
disassembled injectors, tested resistance (fine), tried water splash for leaks in the area of injectors and intake seals while the car was idling
I used the screwdriver test on injectors to hear them open and close, all 4 performed the same way

The car only has OBD1.5 that tells you very little. But nothing on any diagnostics in any of the shops.
1.5 years ago I changed all filters, engine oil, coolant, brake fluid. Last year I partially changed power steering fluid (sucked/filled reservoir, no noises from there, I did it for maintenance only after 20 years)

Other symptoms:
rpm drops only happen with hot engine
with cold engine the car feels stronger in terms of powersteering (it's 20 yo 55kW engine so it sometimes struggles while steering)
when the car idles (stationary), it idles steadily.
when driving, the car behaves normally but I feel like in the last year it lost some power especially in hills climbing
There are some oil spots in transmission area, but no dripping
I can't hear any wierd noises from the engine bay

Any ideas?
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by smith007.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45735 by Fog42
Hi,

This is a longshot, but I had the exact same scenario with a 97 BMW Z3 with the M44 4 cylinder.
The engine would stall after decelerating in gear down longer hills. After hours/days of troubleshooting
I found that the exhaust backpressure was high due to failing Catalytic Converter.
There were no catalyst efficiency codes stored. In fact there were no codes at all .
The engine seemed to have good power and ran fine other than the stalling.

Might be worth checking,

Jaime

More
3 years 4 months ago #45737 by guafa
Hi Smith,

I think you should also check for another source of rough idle/idle stability.

Is fuel pressure under specs? I would check at idle and on a trip also.

Is O2 sensor responding as it should? I would check condition and if it's good, i would check whether O2 voltage can tell me something (is it reading lean when engine stalls?)

Are coil, plug wires and spark plugs ok?

More
3 years 4 months ago #45740 by derekoliveira
Have a look on throttle body and clean it.

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds