Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

98 5.7 chevy

More
3 years 4 months ago #45541 by Jrousseau88
98 5.7 chevy was created by Jrousseau88
I have a 98 chevy 5.7 liter. Right know I have a hard start and just dosent sound right when starting. I changed fuel pump filter lines intake manifold maf coil cleaned egr checked all wires going to sensors and my computer showing that they are all working but at times I have lose of power hard start runs rough. But dosent do it all the time. I have 50+ lbs of fuel pressure. Checked all my grounds replaced some. I dnt do a great job painting a picture. But it all started last year it just died on me wouldent start I replaced alot and come to find out it was the ground strap from back of block to fram was broken fixed it and ran fine. Then a month or so later it was starting really really hard I used starter fluied for a month to get it started and once sue started for the day she was fine. I landscape so trucks run allday 6 days a week. Well it was the knew fuel pump. So I put old one back on becouse nothing was wrong with it becouse it was the ground that was messing it all up. Ran fine for a month or so. Then same hard start I smell gas after I shut off truck and get out I smell more then I should. Truck starts but hard. My question is what would strain the fuel pump to go weak or fail? Did I screw something up bye using starter fluied? This is why I had to change intake I used to much starter fluied and blew the intake in half smh my bad.. fixed it ran fine for awhile but still after a month she would act up again. This time it's got me I've gone over abslusty everything in engine bay. Every wire did every test to every solinoid what can cause such an intermittent issue? I have so many knew parts idk wth it would be. I gonna do another tune up but just did all wires plugs cap an rotor a year ago if that. When the truck runs good it runs better then any 5.7 I've owned but when she acts up shes pretty limp. Jst at a lose with all I've changed and no result.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45555 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic 98 5.7 chevy
Is there an irregular cadense to the engine while cranking. (Noticable pause while cranking). Have you checked for codes? what if any are stored? Did you test spark with a spark tester? Sometimes the ignition module in the distributor will start failing causing a long crank or no start condition. When it acts up next time check spark with a spark tester and see if it drops out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45569 by Nelson60
Replied by Nelson60 on topic 98 5.7 chevy
That fuel delivery system used the troublesome CSFI poppet injectors (spider) beneath the intake. They were prone to sticking /leaking after high mileage and age. Also, the fuel pressure regulator, also under the intake, was prone to leaking along with the plastic fuel lines associated with the fuel plumbing. The hard starting/fuel smell are typical signs of leaks/failures
If you remove the main electrical connector, you can sometimes see the wet areas in and around the fuel pressure regulator using a small flash light.

The replacement/fix is to install entirely new fuel injection delivery system which changes fuel delivery to MPFI. Part cost of new system is around $450
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Nelson60.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45586 by markc
Replied by markc on topic 98 5.7 chevy
I would add to this but the first two replies are dead on! Not to mention you blew your intake in half.. Did you replace your spider injection unit along with the intake?

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45607 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic 98 5.7 chevy
Hi there,

I understand fuel system pressure spec. for this engine is rated to 58 psi minimum. Less pressure than that can cause symptoms you are mentioning.

Please confirm guys. I hope it helps.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by guafa.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds