Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1993 Dodge D150 5.9 Gas Engine, No start during cold temps

More
3 years 4 months ago #45450 by ed2
We have a 1993 Dodge D150 5.9 Gas engine, with a no start condition when cold. It was towed in from another shop, who replaced the Distributor, and the IAC valve, New plugs, and a coil.

The weird thing is it appears to have weaker spark coming out the distributor then at the coil, I may be over thinking the spark, however, when cold it will flood the engine with fuel. Now today is a warmer day here in south jersey, and the truck fires up and runs well today, and anytime it does run, it runs well. truck has no codes, i did verify the cam signal, which is good, it has good fuel pressure.

now on a cold day it will crank and crank..... you can get it start wide open throttle, cranking for about 20 seconds it will fire up..... anybody have any experience with these? i dont generally work on stuff this old..... thanks......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45453 by Hardtopdr2
Iat, maf/ map and ect sensor readings is where i would start given cold temp issue. Would recommend looking at fuel trims as well

More
3 years 4 months ago #45489 by ed2

Hardtopdr2 wrote: Iat, maf/ map and ect sensor readings is where i would start given cold temp issue. Would recommend looking at fuel trims as well

Well, to start, lets remember this is a 1993, theres no way to hook up a scan tool to this vehicle, there is no diagnostic port, there is only flash codes...... It does not have a IAT sensor, this vehicle utilizes a MAP sensor, and we have already confirmed ECT sensor is good.....another thing is...... fuel trims are not used at start up......

More
3 years 4 months ago #45490 by Matt T
A '93 probably does have a DLC, but not an OBD-II one. If you don't have a scan tool capable of communicating with the truck might be best to ship it to someone who does.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds