Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Heater in O2 sensors - voltage lower in original 02 because it was made better?

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45205 by Smeter12
Hello all,

This post is more of a "Hmmmm - that is interesting".

As per the attached pic titled "Heated Oxygen Sensor A", we know that the ECU wants to keep the tip of the O2 sensor at 700 degrees C. In the second pic titled "Data PIDS Screen 5" we see that Bank 1 (i.e. O2 Sensor A) which has an aftermarket O2 sensor in it need 1.11V to maintain the 700 degrees C tip temperature. Again in the "Data PIDS" picture, we see that Bank 2 (i.e. O2 Sensor B) which has the original 25 year old 02 sensor it it needs 0.06v to maintain the 700 degrees C tip temperature. Assuming I understand this correctly - the 25 year old sensor only needs 0.06V to maintain the tip temperature while the new aftermarket needs 1.11V? If so - amazing for a 25 year old O2 sensor.

Just thought I would share.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Smeter12. Reason: pressed "submit" instead of "attachment"... senior's moment there!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45208 by Matt T
More proof used OEM beats n.e.w. aftermarket :lol:

Was this before or after the O2 sensor "relearn" you mentioned in the other thread?

More
3 years 4 months ago #45211 by Smeter12
The 0.06V was after the "relearn". Not sure what it was before the "relearn" as I didn't have access to a data stream and I never scoped the voltage of the original O2 sensor either.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45214 by VegasJAK
What is the make model year and engine in this car?

"an open mind let's knowledge flow in and wisdom flow out for a man who has neither never listens to those who have both".
Being wrong doesn't bother me, it's being right and not understanding why that does

More
3 years 4 months ago #45230 by Smeter12
The vehicle I was working on was a 1995 Jaguar XJS convertible with a 4.0L straight inline 6.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds