Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:Obd calculated load value

More
3 years 4 months ago #45187 by Madpanfan
Hi all,

Calculated Load value on my scan tool reads 0.8% under various engine rpms.

Nissan Micra 2001 1.0 litre k11. 4 cylinder engine with 106,000 miles.

P0171 system too lean code

My question is, why is the load value on the scan tool not changing during different engine speeds, coasting, accelerating, decelerating etc. Its stays at exactly 0.8%

Please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45194 by lpburke86
Replied by lpburke86 on topic Obd calculated load value
Ive never given a whole lot of credence to the calculated load value. Some cars will idle 2% other will idle at 35%... Some wil run down the highway at 80mph at 15% others will be at 85%.... Brand new off the lot.

What are your fuel trims, for both banks?

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #45199 by Madpanfan
Replied by Madpanfan on topic Obd calculated load value
Here's some freeze frame data from when the p0171 was set. I've only one bank on this small engine!
I've cleared the code a few times and swapped out the o2 sensors. Code keeps coming back ....

Dtc p0171
Fuelsys1 cl
Load_pct% 0.8
etc c 87
Shrtft1 18
Longft1 25
Rpm 2600
Vss km/hr 69
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Madpanfan. Reason: More detail

More
3 years 4 months ago #45201 by Tutti57
What are your fuel trims at idle? That's looking like a fuel delivery issue or MAF issue so far.

Watch your o2 sensors during a wot run and see if the voltage stays high.

Nissan Tech

More
3 years 4 months ago #45210 by Madpanfan
At idle the longterm fuel trim could be maxed out at +25
And short term could be moving between -7 and -10

But leaving it idle for ten minutes or so doesn't seem to bring down the high longterm figure even though the short term is showing a negative figure.

The o2 fluctuate between high and low during normal driving.
I haven't tried a wide open throttle run yet.....

More
3 years 4 months ago #45215 by Tutti57
Since your total trims (combo of both) is much higher off idle, I'd still look at fuel delivery or mass air sensor. That wot test might help determine if it's starving for fuel.

Nissan Tech

More
3 years 3 months ago #45424 by The_Floss
Replied by The_Floss on topic Obd calculated load value
According to SAE International SAE J1979 / ISO 15031-5, the formula the computer uses for calculating load is:

LOAD_PCT = [current airflow] / [(peak airflow at WOT@STP as a function of rpm) * (BARO/29.92) * SQRT(298/(AAT+273))]

- STP = Standard Temperature and Pressure = 25 °C, 29.92 in Hg BARO,
- SQRT = square root
- WOT = wide open throttle
- AAT = Ambient Air Temperature (in °C)

Characteristics of LOAD_PCT are:

- Reaches 1.0 at WOT at any altitude, temperature or rpm for both naturally
aspirated and boosted engines.
- Indicates percent of peak available torque.
- Linearly correlated with engine vacuum
- Often used to schedule power enrichment.

If your Load value is fixed low for all conditions and RPM ranges stationary and while driving, my first thought is there's something wrong with the MAF or its wiring.
I'd check and see if your MAF readings change at all, or if it's fixed at a constant value.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45456 by lpburke86
What is the linear Correlation with vacuum? Like, what percentage would different vacuum numbers be? Or where would I find out? Because that would be the first time I ever found a use for this PID...

More
3 years 3 months ago #45715 by The_Floss
Replied by The_Floss on topic Obd calculated load value
The way I understand how the equation works is this:

Load = (Qmaf) / (Qmax(RPM) * TEMP ADJ.)

Qmaf is the air flow rate from your MAF
Qmax(RPM) is the maximum air flow rate at WOT for a specific RPM range at 25C stored in the computer (set by the engineers)
TEMP ADJ. is an adjustment factor to modify Qmax(RPM) based on what the air temperature is, since the temperature will affect the density of air (Cold dense air moving at 10 m/sec will have a higher mass flow rate than warm less-dense air moving at 10 m/sec).

Another way to think of load, is the force that is resisting the power produced by the engine.
If you're going up a hill in third gear, to keep the engine at 2.5k rpm, the engine will have to pump a lot more air than if you're cruising in third on flat terrain.
I find that load can be more useful than rpm when you're trying to determine if you've got a fuel delivery issue, since the power demand on an engine at say 2.5k rpm will be much higher when you are driving up a hill compared to 2.5k rpm when sitting in park.

More
3 years 3 months ago #45893 by lpburke86
see that was my understanding.... I don't see how that equation would output a value that has a direct linear correlation with vacuum.... Am I missing something?

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds