Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4L Crank Sensor Waveform

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #45176 by W8up4Rick
I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger come in with a p0017 - CRANK/CAM TIMING BANK 1 SENSOR 2. Using an AES Wave Uscope I compared Bank 1 and Bank 2 Cam sensor waveforms and they both looked fine. So I then decided to scope the Crankshaft signal and also found no issues with the signal it was producing. The moment you started this vehicle the code would set, the check engine light would flash and it would run fine but you could tell it was running slightly out of time. I began to think maybe the exhaust cam had jumped time. Before I checked the actual timing of the engine I decided I wanted to install a different crank sensor and compare it to the original one since I didn't have one to compare to like I did with the cam sensors. After installing the new Crank sensor the engine runs great and no codes are present.

The thing I don't understand is how both signals looked Identical on my scope but yet a new sensor fixed the problem. What am I missing or not understanding? I looked at both waveforms in different time and voltage scales and I still could not see what I am missing. If I install the old sensor the code comes back. Any information helps. Thanks in advance.

The only thing I can think of is maybe I could see it if I had a Second lap scope or a scope with 2 channels then I could compare it to the exhaust cam signal or something.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by W8up4Rick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds