Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 linolcn no check engine light with key on

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #5888 by zr1zora
weird issue scanner danner or anyone who can help id apprciate it i need help i have a 1996 Lincoln continental that had the tranny rebuilt by aamcco when i got the car back now with the key on im NOT getting a check engine light even tho its cranks the engine does not start up do you guys have any idea whats this may be
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by zr1zora.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5889 by cheryl hartkorn
does it run? or just cranks? if it runs id say the bulb burned out it is 21 yrs old now

More
7 years 2 months ago #5913 by zr1zora
just cranks over i found tonight 4 fuses number 6 , 12, 18 scp network fuses inside dont have power to em the bulb was tested and its fine

More
7 years 2 months ago #5914 by ScannerDanner
I'm deleting the other post as there are now two of them. Start with checking your fusible links, since you are missing power at 4 of your fuses.

Don't be a parts changer!

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #5923 by lstinthwrld
You said you just got the car back from the trans shop. Did the car run when you got it back? I assume it ran when you took it in. There may be some issues with the wiring harness as a result of the recent work. If this is the case you may want to contact the trans shop.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by lstinthwrld.

More
7 years 2 months ago #5935 by Doc n2mx
HI you stated that the cranks but no start, and the mill light is off.
The first thing I would do is plug in a scanner or coed reader with no built in power in the reader thus the cars computer will power the read /scanner. If the caner/reader powers up we know that the ECM is probably good, I assume you checked the fuses thus far.

Now I would check to see if the transmission shop removed any ground straps if so replace them. If that does not work start with the basics, crank the engine and add brake fluid to the intake, if it fires you know is fuel if not go on to the ignition check spark.

That should get you started , no pun….

Doc N2mx

More
7 years 2 months ago #5955 by Tyler

zr1zora wrote: just cranks over i found tonight 4 fuses number 6 , 12, 18 scp network fuses inside dont have power to em the bulb was tested and its fine

You're referring to fuses in the instrument panel fuse box, correct? Fuses 6 and 18 show up on the power distribution diagram, but don't have a common source that'd account for a lack of power. Fuse 6 is switched power, but fuse 18 is hot at all times. Couldn't find fuse 12. :unsure:

Both fuses 6 and 18 have to do with interior lighting and the instrument panel, which would definitely account for an inoperative bulb. Any other systems not working correctly?

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #6018 by Noah

Doc n2mx wrote: HI you stated that the cranks but no start, and the mill light is off.
The first thing I would do is plug in a scanner or coed reader with no built in power in the reader thus the cars computer will power the read /scanner. If the caner/reader powers up we know that the ECM is probably good, I assume you checked the fuses thus far.

Now I would check to see if the transmission shop removed any ground straps if so replace them. If that does not work start with the basics, crank the engine and add brake fluid to the intake, if it fires you know is fuel if not go on to the ignition check spark.

That should get you started , no pun….

Doc N2mx

I'm not picking on you, I agree with your advice up until the brake fluid. I'm sure you meant brake cleaner, but didn't want anyone with less experience to read this and maybe it a go with brake fluid! ;)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Noah.

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds