Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1995 Jaguar XJS 4.0L - titanium O2 sensor and OBDII fuel trim strategy?

More
3 years 5 months ago #44990 by Smeter12
Have a 1995 Jaguar XJS Conv in the shop with a rough idle. This vehicle uses titanium O2 sensors (i.e. 0V - 5V sweep) on the front banks as well as the rear banks. Two questions:

1) Bank 1 (i.e. cylinders 1-3) runs rich (i.e. 4.5V) at idle and Bank 2 (i.e. cylinders 4-6) runs lean (i.e. 0.5V) at idle. Is this normal?

2) Can you use the voltage from these titanium O2 sensors at idle like you would with OBDII zirconium based O2 sensors to diagnose running issues?

As always, thoughts appreciated and thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45202 by Smeter12
LOL - there are a 133 views and no replies. Guess I am talking to myself in this post. If you would like to listen to me talk to myself, keep reading!

There is good news to report on this post as I found the problem and I would like to share that with the 133 people that decided to take a peak at this post.

Again, just to review - I was trying to address a rough idle issue (and misfiring when accelerating-P0300) on a 1995 Jaguar XJS 4.0L. This vehicle uses titanium O2 sensors and at idle Bank 1 ran rich at 4.5V and Bank 2 ran lean at 0.5V. There were times when Bank 2 would come up to 4.5V (at idle) and then the vehicle would run fine for 30 seconds or so and then run rough again at idle (i.e . Bank 2 O2 sensor at 0.5V). After checking a whole bunch of things (i.e. MAF sensor; ECT sensor; TPS sensor; IAT sensor; O2 sensors; EGR temp sensor and EGR valve; scoping fuel pump; current ramping the injectors; current ramping the primary ignition; scoping secondary ignition) it became apparent that we needed factory software to address this issue. In the factory software there is a test called "Oxygen Sensor Orientation Test" (see attached pic). Performed this test (even though this test received a "fail" from the factory software) and upon completion the car ran like a dream! All I can say is "weird".

Well, that is all I gotta say to myself. Hope this post helps someone else in the future.

Happy Jaguaring!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wightscope

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds