Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Re:2001 Mitsubishi V-6 Eclipse

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #44910 by J.D.
I recently got this car running again after several years in storage. Due to illness, I had farmed this job out to a local smog shop. "Make the it pass smog and bill me" was my directions. After 3 months in their shop, I took it away from them. I would only pay them for parts because they solved nothing. Still feeling poorly, I sent it to a second shop. No help whatsoever. I have now recovered from my health issues. Working on it myself. Using a Bosch 1350 scan tool, I found the Manifold Pressure Sensor to be defective. Replaced that and cleared it's codes. How can I be sure the problem is solved ? I only have my Bosch tool to work with. I have run it several times with no indication of a problem. Bear with me. I am a bit "old school", but any imput would be appreciated. ...Jim
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by J.D..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #44913 by J.D.
Replied by J.D. on topic 2001 Mitsubishi V-6 Eclipse
Not sure what the other guys issues were. This seems too easy. I DID find a EGR air flow code [M0400] in there, but they had cleaned the EGR port out and replaced the EGR before I got it back. I cannot put it on the road because it is no longer licensed. In the shop, it seems fine. I am a bit rusty at this sort of work. Just trying to be careful to get it right before I pay all the fees to get it legal again. ...Jim

More
3 years 4 months ago #44914 by Tutti57
What exactly were your symptoms and how did you determine it was the map sensor?

Nissan Tech

More
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #44916 by J.D.
Replied by J.D. on topic Re:2001 Mitsubishi V-6 Eclipse
This was the "job from hell". It has been sitting around just over 2 years now. It went all sour on me on a trip up to my mountain cabin. All of the sudden went all rich and smelled like fuel. By the time I got it home all the O2 sensors were toast. My diagnostics program in my laptop died before I could really get started on it. I farmed it out while I got very sick. So a lot of what I know is second had . When I got it back it was still running sick, but better. Fuel trims jumping all over the place.Tested the MPS with a meter on a hunch. It failed. Car back in storage for another year. With the lock down for the virus, I have nothing but time on my hands.
Bought a new scan tool and went to it last week. ...Jim
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by J.D..

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 4 months ago #44954 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:2001 Mitsubishi V-6 Eclipse
You won't know until you know, you know?

The only way to confirm it will pass inspection is to get it to run the internal monitors, and it won't do that until go through the drive cycles.
Kind of a catch 22. You don't want to register it until you know it will pass but you won't know if it will pass until it's registered.

If it's running better, you probably fixed it.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 years 4 months ago #44974 by J.D.
Replied by J.D. on topic Re:2001 Mitsubishi V-6 Eclipse
Can't drive it without smogging it first. Can' t smog it without driving it. DMV gives you a ONE DAY "moving permit" and only ONCE per vehicle, and they record the mileage on thier computer system. Annoying ! ...J.D.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds