Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Misfire Code P0301 on 2000 Discovery II

More
3 years 5 months ago #44767 by madprof
Land Rover Discovery II 4.0L V8 gas

TC0301 (only)

I have a 2000 Discovery 2 with 115k miles. It is a recent purchase and I have worked through a pile of trouble codes. It still has a persistent PO301 cylinder 1 misfire.

It runs normal at speed. Slightly rough at idle. Not a hard misfire. The CES light is on but not flashing. If I disconnect spark 1, it runs rougher and CES starts flashing.

I ran a compression test with these results (which seems pretty good):
#1: 175 #2: 190
#3: 185 #4: 180
#5: 175 #6: 190
#7: 180 #8: 190

Leakdown test also good. Leakdown test - Cyl 1: 8% Cyl 2: 6% etc

I checked the injectors with an injector pulse tester and compared pressure drop with a fuel pressure gauge.

Fuel Trims seem good. Long range bank 1: -3.1, bank 2: 1.6.

I just realized it has exhaust leaks at both manifold flanges. I have tried addressing this, but will have to redo that.

I am an amatuer mechanic, and ScannerDanner fan. I am using a Fluke 190, 4-channel scope with a ES 695 low current probe on A channel, Hantek spark probe on B Channel, and 200PSI PX3AN1BH200PSAAX on C Channel to generate the 2 traces attached. I've been having difficulty getting a clean current reading so I have Channel A (Current) on AC coupling. The #1 cylinder always has lower current, but the pressure sensor reads about the same for #1 and #3 during cranking. Seems like the misfire is due to mechanical issues to me. Any input on my setup, or results interpretation would be most appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds