Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2018 Sentra P0101 - Almost Fixed

More
3 years 5 months ago #44736 by Tutti57
I took this one over from the guy next to me. He performed an ECM update per a bulletin for this code and it came back. Then it got a MAF and came back. I road tested it and it had no power and sounded like it had a cold air intake on it. The air box silencer deal was smashed up pretty good, maybe contributing to the sound. MAF g/s under full throttle only got up to like 45. I would pulled the front exhaust tube off and retested, g/s went up to the 70s and it was much better. Looking in the exhaust the cat was trashed. The writer found that about a year ago she put diesel in th car and just had it drained out, so we planned to replace both converters, fuel pump, and injectors. Yesterday I pulled the fuel pump out and it looked like it had hair from a shower drain on it. It was all over in th tank too, then I pulled this baby out of there. Whoever drained the tank before must have left it in there...yikes. That's a pig mat.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler, Paul P.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44737 by Paul P.
Nice Job!

Never stop Learning.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #44738 by Chad
A shop rag left in the tank? :blink: :woohoo:

Nice work!

Edit: I just googled "pig mat". That's a new one, for me. :side:

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Chad.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #44741 by Tyler
Well done. B) Just for giggles, did you also happen to watch the upstream A/F during full throttle? I'm curious if there was a fuel delivery problem (due to the pig mat) that was measurable during enrichment. Also, 70 g/s still sounds a little bit low for this engine? :unsure: Maybe I'm thinking of it wrong.

Tutti57 wrote: I took this one over from the guy next to me.

Sounds like there's a lot of that happening these days. ;) What happened to that tech that was sweating you over your diagnostic methods?

www.scannerdanner.com/forum/off-topic-se...ypass-test-rant.html

He performed an ECM update per a bulletin for this code and it came back. Then it got a MAF and came back.

It's a bit off topic, but I'm curious to know how that works out in your dealership. :huh: The first tech DID have a code and an applicable TSB. Do they still get paid for that? Do they still get paid for the MAF?
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Tyler.

More
3 years 4 months ago #44984 by 93Rubie
I've fixed a LOT of P0101's in Nissan's and this is a new one. LOL.

Gotta love built in problems.

I really enjoy fixing the P2097 and P2098? codes on them that others wing parts at it. Meanwhile the A/F Adj. is maxed out lean......I go get the smoke machine and find a small leak in the exhaust, new gasket, test drive, watch trims fix themselves and BAM! Fixed.

More
3 years 4 months ago #44998 by Tutti57
The post catalyst lean code, right?

You used to work at a dealership didn't you? What was your process for the p0101 when they came in?

Nissan Tech

More
3 years 4 months ago #45002 by 93Rubie
Yes post cat lean code.

I still work for a Nissan dealership.
I'm actually a Master Tech.

I personally look at the air filter and intake for debris first.

Then codes and FF.

Then g/s reading.

Check A/F Alpha and A/F adj.

Test drive and observe those as well as A/f sensor and rear 02.

P0101 is a logic code not a circuit code so data analysis is needed.

If its higher milage i clean the TB and do a IAL. Usually you see a difference in g/s with this.

It just depends on what I see with data and go from there. I've replaced a MAF just one time. Most where No parts required fixes. Check for NTBs as well. Reprogrammings.....

More
3 years 4 months ago #45012 by Tutti57
Ok, yeah that's pretty much what I do.

I was going to the transmission class to get master cert and a week before my class they closed the training center. I see they've opened them up again, so now that it's getting slow I'll get back on the list.

Nissan Tech

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds