Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

10 chevy impala 3.5 starting issue

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #44469 by bandrauto
ive got a 2010 chevy impala 3.5 pulled out of the repo line. dont know any history on it. the issue is, when the ignition switch is put into the run position, the car cranks. had an 08 that the switch was the same. same issue. when looking in the bcm, i can see where the ignition switch location is. it appears correct. there is a yellow wire that is the signal for the starter relay that comes from the pcm and it has voltage on it at all times which is the issue. from my understanding, the bcm sends a starting signal over the comm lines to the ecm which then sends the signal to the starter. starting my diagnostics at the bcm, i removed the acc wire from the ignition switch and it wouldn't crank, so im a little confused, though wondering if it is the pcm.

after looking over it, we put another computer and programmed it. still not start. after tracking down the no start issue, the low line was being pulled down by a couple modules. after finding the ones and disconnecting them, the lan came back up. the TDM was still down, found used and programmed to vehicle. learned key to TDM and the vehicle now starts and drove out of the shop. PHEW.
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by bandrauto.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #44470 by Hardtopdr2
With some used car dealers they install a gps unit that can dissable starting. Is it still disabling the starter signal?
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44488 by bandrauto
first thing i do with any of these auction cars or any other car lot car is check for any crazy wiring. although this car is really rough, the wiring was clean, nothing added on

More
3 years 5 months ago #44513 by Tyler
Which wire did you remove from the ignition switch to get it to not crank? I like this test, just want to understand exactly what changed.

In the BCM scan data, what does the Power Mode data list have to say about the ignition switch while it's in the run position?

For testing purposes, it might be easier to disconnect the starter S-post wire and wire it to a test light. That way, you can see the light illuminate while you're testing, instead of cranking it multiple times.

More
3 years 4 months ago #44777 by bandrauto
there are no addons to the system, ive checked all over.

as for what wire i removed, i do not remember, i would have to go back and look. i pushed the thing back outside to make some money.

good idea about disconnecting the start wire from the starter, i should have thought of that. that would allow me to leave it in the run possition and see if i can get it to quit.

when i check all data on the scanner, it appears that when the ignition switch is in run, it is NOT asking for crank, but when twisted further into the crank position, it says crank.

More
3 years 4 months ago #44779 by Matt T
Could use a low amp clamp to tell whether the relay control current is flowing thru' the PCM or going somewhere else. Or just cut the wire at the PCM.

More
3 years 3 months ago #46032 by bandrauto
car is finally fixed after waiting and waiting for parts and programming

More
3 years 3 months ago #46047 by Cheryl
So what needs programming??

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds