Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Fluctuating gas gauge

More
7 years 3 months ago #5773 by Ppkumar
I'm new to this forum but love watching scannerdanner videos. I just watched one of his videos about testing a fuel gauge sending unit on a GMC. In the video the problem with the vehicle was the gas gauge was always on E. So for starters names Phil. I own a 1998 GMC k1500 with 125,455 miles on it. The gas gauge fluctuates from F to 1/2 tank after driving 100 miles or so. After watching the video I saw earlier I think I might know what it is but my fuel gauge doesn't stay on F or E. It just moves all around the place. Could my situation be the same ?? Faulty fuel pump sending unit ??? Or is mine a different problem all together. I suspect it's the sending unit after watching the video and obviously I'm gonna do my Diagnostics before condemning the sending unit but I'd love some input.. maybe someone on here had the same problem and fixed it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #5775 by Andy.MacFadyen
Your are on the right track.
All these sending units work much the same way, basically a potentiometer, much like the volume control on an old style TV or Radio or on a car the throttle position sensor works much the same way.

That the gauge only starts to read wrong when the tank contents go below a certain level would make me think it is a fault with the tank sender unit inside the tank.

Just thank you luck stars that you don't have european car some of them have two sender units on one tank.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

More
7 years 3 months ago #5789 by Dylan
Replied by Dylan on topic Fluctuating gas gauge
Welcome to the forum Phil ;) Moved your topic to the repair section.

Time to create page: 0.220 seconds