Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2012 KIA Forte Koup 2.4 P0017

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #44062 by Mjdavis1994
So I've posted here before, purchased a car and it turned out to have the incorrect engine in it. Got my hands on the correct one and fully rebuilt it. New bearings, seals, valves lapped, head/block hot tanked and glass beaded and decked. Block was bored 40 over. When the vehicles new engine was dropped in it started right up. Ran perfectly fine then about 100 miles in the idle became rough and I limped it home approx 1 mile. The vehicle will start and instantly die now unless holding the gas. Hooked the scanner up and got a P0017 Crankshaft position- Camshaft position correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B ), and P200A Intake Manif9old Runner Performance Bank 1. I had an issue with the tumbler getting stuck closed on the intake that fouled the plugs so I fixed it and replaced the plugs. Tried to restart the engine and the P200A went away but the P0017 stayed.

Here are the steps I have taken so far to troubleshoot the crankshaft code. I was following the AllData. All scope readings were done with the fuel pump fuse pulled and coils disconnected due to the vehicle instantly dying every time it started.

1. Hooked the scope up and was receiving a signal from both the crank and camshafts. When overlapping the data for the most part the readings are spot on with the exception of a few spots I'm unsure of for small spikes, but I'm wondering if they're from the VVT.

2. Verified timing marks, they were spot on. (didn't have to being that the signals matched up but wanted to be safe)

3. Verified no debris were in the ports on both oil control valves.

4. Applied 12V to both OCVs to verify movement. There was.

5. The next step according to the AllData is removing the camshafts and verifying the CVVT moves 20 degrees by applying air to the advance hole and turning the gear. This quite obviously would be a downer considering it's a freshly built motor.

Some follow up questions.

1) with a vehicle correctly timed but with a VVT issue, I would imagine the vehicle would at least run (like trash but at least run) and not completely stall out as soon as you start the vehicle. I've not dealt with any VVT issues this in depth personally so I'm new in this area.

2) Would someone mind looking over my scope data to see if I'm missing anything. I only have a two channel scope (built into my modis edge) so I could only check two sensors at once. I've put all 3 files in a zip. For the two files with the crank sensor, the crank sensor is port 1. For the one with both cam sensors, the intake is port 1 and the exhaust is port 2.

File Attachment:

File Name: Scope.zip
File Size:348 KB

Any help would be appreciated. I'm seriously dreading possibly having to pull this thing apart again.
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Mjdavis1994. Reason: Left out information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds