Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Voltage divider circuit with integrated diode (AC blower resistor)

More
3 years 6 months ago #43975 by Saverauto
Replaced an AC blower motor, old one's commutator was well worn down to it's core.
Also pulled the AC blower resistor. Found a diode integrated into the circuit board.

Tested the diode using multimeters 'diode test mode':

1. ~0.6V in forward direction
2. ~0.9V in reverse direction

Diode allows current flow in reverse direction so assumed it was faulty. Purchased a second hand blower resistor & the diode on that one also allows current to flow in the reverse direction. The diode symbol printed on the circuit board (adjacent to the component) is that of a standard silicone diode.

With old resistor installed, fan speed control is okay.

My questions:

1. What is this diode used for? I'm assuming it's used as a shunt for back emf?
2. Why is this diode allowing current flow in reverse & still allowing proper control of blower speed?
Is it possible that this is a zener diode? In relation to question # 1, I'm assuming then that it's there to regulate voltage?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #44112 by olds88
It sounds like it is in fact a zener diode. Without knowing the circuit design I can't say why they use it, but it is likely that it is used as a voltage regulator.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds