Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

In need of good known crank and Cam sensor

More
3 years 6 months ago #43857 by Blessie@123
Hi Everybody. I’m working on 2006 Nissan titan 5.6lts. Issue is cranks but no start condition. Tech has checked Fuel pressure (good), it has a spark and fuel injector pulse, took relative compression from the battery and it looks relatively the same and sounds like it has a solid and good cranks. Tech has looked at cam and crank signal and looks Great, but WE NEED a good cam and crank waveform to compare at. Is anybody have good known cam and crank waveform signal i can compare at plus i need more inputs regarding to what to consider looking at. At this point i’m now after timing issue. Pls I’m in need of good known cam and crank waveform. Thanks everyone
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43860 by jreardon
I found on asian makes the service info for cam code faults they provide a cmp ckp waveform.

I don't like that dip in the cmp signal, it may be the fat tooth trying to manifest. Does your cmp signal repeat?

More
3 years 6 months ago #43870 by Blessie@123
Yes It does Repeat. Is this From 5.6lts Nissan Titan waveform? i"m just curious as it Looks very Different Than the waveform i got

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43871 by jreardon
Yes I found that image from the 2006 Titan service manual: www.nicoclub.com/service-manual?fsm=Titan/2006/ec.pdf

How's battery voltage? I see your waveform only goes up to 7 volts.

Here's one from an '05 on iATN : www.iatn.net/forums/2/443846/ckp-code-but-cmp-was-the-fix

image snippet from ebay timing gear set:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by jreardon.

More
3 years 6 months ago #44018 by Blessie@123
So we decided to replace Cam sensor and sure enough, the waveform u have given here is more like the waveform i took after a
New cam sensor put on. However, i thought we got it but it is still the same but waveform is certainly identical to what u posted here. We took a control signal on one of the Ignition coil and found interesting stuff. It does infact has intermittent control and sometimes won’t fire the coil at all. One coil has no control no spark whatsover and others have ramdom control and not consistent. We have checked power and ground of the computer and everything is there. I’m down now wether i have a bad ECM or not sure yet about Timing issue. The feed to cam and crank sensor is battery voltage, ground sides of both sensor is good, however the signal from both sensor never reach battery voltage or near battery voltage. In my opinion i don’t think it is a big deal but let me know what u guys think about this. Need more inputs. Thanks
Attachments:

More
3 years 6 months ago #44024 by Tutti57
Any chance that chain is stretched? I'm relatively new to scope use, but does yhe cam trace look like it's slightly off a little later in your wave form?

I had an 09 370z in last week that would only start with the passenger bank cam sensor unplugged, with a long crank. Cam/crank signals did not quite line up. The ECM uses 0* cam timing as a default in this case. My theory is that the actual signal didn't make the ECM happy enough to start, being off, so the sub value worked for it unplugged. Our techline said they see this with stretched chains after they have been run low on oil, which had been the case here.

Some of these older Nissans will fire once, give you one spark, then shut down if it's out of time.

What are your cam angles during cranking? I wish I had one of these in to give you some good values but I don't see them very often.

Nissan Technician

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds