Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

P0301 Ford Escape

More
3 years 6 months ago #43854 by FordGuy1990
Hello, I have a 2010 Ford Escape with about 237k on it. Keep getting a misfire cyl 1. Replaced spark plugs, swapped coils to different cylinder locations, removed injectors, cleaned and swapped injector 1&4. Still only P0301. Ran compression test and on cyl 1 and cyl 3 getting 150. Cyl 2 and cyl 4 close to 175. No vacuum leaks detected. What are your suggestions to where to start from there? It’s a 2.5L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43855 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic P0301 Ford Escape
Have you performed a leak down test??

More
3 years 6 months ago #43856 by Cheryl
Replied by Cheryl on topic P0301 Ford Escape
Also does mode 6 agree with the code? Try pressurizing the cooling system check for coolant in the cylinder after a few hours?

More
3 years 6 months ago #43863 by FordGuy1990
Replied by FordGuy1990 on topic P0301 Ford Escape
Have not preformed a leak down test yet, have read you can have a bad valve with good compression is that true?

More
3 years 6 months ago #43864 by FordGuy1990
Are we checking for a pulsing ground when doing this?

More
3 years 6 months ago #43868 by FordGuy1990
So I did the old paper trick with the exhaust, and found it sucking it in ad blowing it out. Is this test very accurate for a valve issue?

More
3 years 6 months ago #43869 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic P0301 Ford Escape

FordGuy1990 wrote: Have not preformed a leak down test yet, have read you can have a bad valve with good compression is that true?

Some valve related problems won't show up on a compression test or a leakdown test. That said a leakdown test does stand a good chance of finding why your suspect cylinder is ~25 psi low.

What kind of misfire do you have? A dead miss or something less severe? And is it constant or intermittent?

More
3 years 6 months ago #43875 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic P0301 Ford Escape

Monde wrote: Thank you Matt, for pointing out the lower compression issue. I didn't read the original post through and missed that. Shame on me.

I was just replying to the OP. And he did say two cylinders were lower, but not really bad, so don't beat yourself up about "missing it".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monde

More
3 years 6 months ago #43885 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic P0301 Ford Escape
Like others have suggested, I'd definitely do a leakdown test. At least on #1, preferably on all four. Burned exhaust valves are common on this engine at higher mileages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FordGuy1990

More
3 years 6 months ago #43924 by FordGuy1990
Here’s what the piston looks like, not sure if that’s the valve or a part made into the piston? Any ideas, the piston is clean expect where those to pieces are
Attachments:

More
3 years 6 months ago #43925 by FordGuy1990
Seems to be intermittent, sometimes it’ll idle rough others it’ll idle like new, but regardless of the idle when you get around 50-55 you’ll get a vibaration.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds