Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1998 jeep cherokee, 5v reference question

More
3 years 7 months ago #43789 by Coloradomoe
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 4x4.
No start condition. Needle gauges non responsive. Gauge cluster indicator lights are functional.
I repaired several shorts along the sensor harness and am still finding low voltage from the 5 volt reference. I studied all of your videos and decided to use a last use technique of cutting one reference wire (from connector B the white connector) to see if there are additional shorts along that circuit. No change. I reconnected that wire and cut the other, also no change. I disconnected both 5 volt reference wires and measure the voltage and it still showed about half a volt.
My question is whether the 5 volt reference wires should be showing 5 volts with both cut?
Th grounds have been verified. My only thought at this point is a faulty PCM.
What are your thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43791 by Tutti57
Are you able to communicate with any modules with a scan tool? Do these use a CAN system? If so, you could see if you have 60ohms between the high and low lines with battery negative disconnected.

Nissan Technician

More
3 years 7 months ago #43793 by Coloradomoe
Hello,
This is a non CAN system. I ran continuity tests for all cables as well as checked for short to ground.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43794 by guafa
Hello,

If you have checked power, ground and ignition signal are getting PCM, i would say you have a faulty PCM

Another test is to feed 5v (current controlled) directly to sensor lines. So you can measure current demand. Also feed every line with a test light (limiting current with a proper bulb).
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by guafa.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43977 by Coloradomoe
Thank you for your help. Faulty PCM was confirmed and replaced. I am truly greatful for all that chimed in.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds