Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1992 Cavalier ignition control module question.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43679 by 70monte
On Sunday the ICM went out again on this car. This is the third time since the beginning of 2018. I don't know if I'm getting bad parts or what but this last one only lasted about a year and a half and about 11,000 miles. It is a Standard brand with a lifetime warranty.

At the time I replaced the ICM the last time, I also replaced both coils, spark plug wires and plugs.

Today I got the new replacement ICM and installed it with the same coils. I go to start the car and it's running rough and then dies and won't restart. I check spark at the plugs and have no spark on cylinders 2 & 3 which share a coil so I figure the coil is dead. I find an old original coil and put it on and car starts right up and runs fine so obviously the coil was bad. The coils have a lifetime warranty as well so I will get it replaced with a new one.

My first question is are there any better parts I can use or any way to keep this from happening so often? I think todays ICM is the fourth or fifth one I've put on the car in the 14 years I've owned it and about 165,000 miles. I've cleaned the ground to the ICM and it's tight

My other question is did the coil take out the ICM or the other way around? When the car initially quit, I was driving down the road and it just shut off and would not re-start, just crank. I checked the ECM fuse and it was blown just like the previous time the ICM went out so I pretty much knew the ICM was shot. When I got it home, I had no spark to any of the plugs which seemed to confirm it.

I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor because when I took it out because the O-ring was leaking, I saw it had a crack down the side of it. I checked the resistance of it and it was still within spec but I replaced it just in case.

Thanks for any input you can give. Car has the 2.2L/automatic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds