Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

NOT CHARGING---2002 dodge dakota 4x4 3.9 quad cab

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43666 by bruce1
just drove 1200 miles in my dakota towing my honda the next day i started it put it in 4 wheel drive with the knob and a check engine light came on and it was not charging, i bought a new alternator because autozone said it was bad put it in still not charging, took it off had it bench tested they said it was good, bought a reman pcm online installed still not charging, bought another pcm from another company still not charging, checked wires. everything looks good...YES power from batter to back of alt on bolt....NO power at 2 wire plug on alternator YES redwhite wire going to PCM has 12 volts....whiteblue and green wire for alt have not power. checked all fuses they are good both inside the vehicle and under the hood. error codes i am getting are for leak detection pump and transmission relay and both of those are connected to the whiteblue wire that goes to the alternator also.....today i was digging around and took the rocker panel off from the drivers side and found some wires chewed that go to the body control module but not chewed all the way....can the bcm cause any issues if the wires touched and shorted? could that do something to my charging? why did both PCM's that i bought not charge and both from different companies. what caused this in the first place..what causes no voltage out of PCM to whiteblue wire that goes to Alt and other things. here are some images of my over sized wiring no crazy cuts and splices in the system. $300 battery. also the images of chewed wires. could it be that the PCM needs to be programmed in the car? but why did it stop charging in the first place...thank you everybody
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by bruce1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43668 by robert.lesaca
have you checked fuses for blown one(s)?

More
3 years 7 months ago #43670 by Matt T
This is from the '02 FSM for the full size trucks. Good chance the Dakota is the same but best to check it's FSM, if you can, to be sure.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43674 by bruce1
hi, yes checked all fuses inside the cab and under the hood removed each fuse and tested

More
3 years 7 months ago #43675 by bruce1
no voltage at whiteblue from pcm....did an ohm test on blue white disconnected from alt, leak detection pump and did an ohm with pcm disconnected to ground and no short did it to alt gets a 0 did it to leak detection and it gets a 0

More
3 years 7 months ago #43676 by bruce1
no power what would cause this? and it has been the same on two reman pcm's....i know years ago i had a similar problem and had to have a mobile mechanic program it in the vehicle the pcm sent to me did not work so i bought one at autozone and mobile guy programmed it? could this be the case with any pcm i get even though they say it is programmed but still why did my original go out...could it have something to do with my 4x4 switch when i turned it on could there be a short under dash that a mouse did

More
3 years 7 months ago #43681 by robert.lesaca
testing the alternator:
the alternator voltage regulator is located in the PCM and is called the EVR or electronic voltage regulator; this is connected in series with the alternator and ground. you can tap into alternators Gen. Fld wire with a multimeter test the EVR output which is pulse width modulated.
1. disconnect neg cable from battery negative post;
2. set meter to Volts; with black lead, back probe Gen.Fld (dark green wire) at the alternator connector; red test lead to battery (+)
3. reconnect battery negative cable;
4. KOER, meter will fluctuate a little and this is normal; turn on accessories like lights, A/C, radio, etc, and meter voltage should increase;
5. turn off accessories and meter voltage drops, lower than when accessories were turned on.
If meter registered this increase or decrease in voltage, EVR is good and controlling alternators amp/voltage output...or else EVR bad and bad PCM is suspected.

Time to create page: 0.240 seconds