Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2012 ram sport starter voltage

More
3 years 7 months ago #43601 by Ladybug 2012
I had to put in a new motor. Once we were ready to fire i had a power issue. We boosted the battery with my charger and truck started. After 2 minutes we shut off to diagnose some codes. With a cylinder#4. When we went to re start. There was only clicks from starter. We tested volts from the yellow and grey lead wire and from it only give 2.5 volts. We traced the wire to the tipm and tested the wire again 2 inches from bottom of tipm still only 2.6 volts. We took starter out and bench yested it and it engages properly. Installed the starter again and replaced the vehicle's battery. Still no voltage from the lead.

Can anyone give insight to this.
We are thinking of by passing the tipm all togther for starter. Essentially setting the starter up like a bench test with switch and truck key in run position to get truck to start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43602 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic 2012 ram sport starter voltage
TIPM's are notorious for problems. You can check fuse J17 for "Green Crusties". Other than that, you'd have to open the TIPM.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Chad.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43603 by Flatrater
Hello Ladybug

There are at least 5 different Rams for that year with 3+ motor options available. The circuits are probably all the same, but appeals for help should include that basic information.

I would stop immediately and get some skilled help before you proceed further and cost yourself unneeded repairs or damage, but let me offer this assuming that the few configurations I looked up are representative of all.

The starter relay is replaceable and the circuits to it testable. That is huge for diagnosing your fault. You can "jumper" power to the starter solenoid without doing anything crazy to the TIPM circuits.

There is a non-replaceable PCB starter relay control relay (different relay) in the TIPM that supplies B+ to the replaceable starter relay coil. The PCM supplies ground to the replaceable starter relay coil.

Consider what is happening then if the starter is "clicking".

This may sound cryptic, but not if you know enough to diagnose this yourself.

I would highly recommend you not try to bypass the TIPM or do anything else rash at this time. The TIPM isn't just another component that can fail, it is the heart of a power management system.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43604 by Matt T

Ladybug 2012 wrote: There was only clicks from starter. We tested volts from the yellow and grey lead wire and from it only give 2.5 volts. We traced the wire to the tipm and tested the wire again 2 inches from bottom of tipm still only 2.6 volts.

Were these voltages measured against the battery negative terminal or some other ground? Also where did you connect your chargers negative lead when you boosted the truck?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds