Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

HVAC Control Unit Calibration [FIXED]

• Chad
  • Chad's Avatar Topic Author
  • I am not a parts changer.
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43527 by Chad
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 with a complaint of no A/C. The customer says that he has, recently, had the Radio/Climate Control head unit replaced, an the A/C has not worked since. All button pushes are registered, and I can command the compressor "ON" with a scan tool. I have concluded that the pid for Evap Core Temp is the problem. The pid reads a temp of 20°, 3 volts (at ambient temperature). I checked the resistance of the sensor and it is in spec. @ 3.1K Ω. I am seeing a resistance specification range of 1.2K Ω - 20K Ω, in [strike]Alldata[/strike] ShopkeyPro. I can use a 100 Ω resistor (WAY lower than spec), in place of the sensor, and pull the voltage down to around 2.2 volts, with a temperature pid reading of 38°. This kicks the compressor on.

My question is: Is the Radio/Climate control head programmable? Will a calibration file correct this issue?

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Chad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chad
More
3 years 7 months ago #43533 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic HVAC Control Unit Calibration
I should, also, clarify that the Radio/HVAC control head, and the A/C Heater module, are NOT the same component. The Radio/HVAC Control unit contains the buttons for the HVAC but, the signals are sent, via CAN bus, to the A/C Heater module. My pids are coming from the A/C Heater module. The temp sensor signal goes straight to the A/C Heater Module, not the Radio/HVAC control unit. ?Typing it out like that makes me think that I am barking up the wrong tree. My problem is in the A/C Heater Module. Not the, newly replaced, Radio/HVAC control head. ??Is it a coincidence? Or, is it related??

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43537 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic HVAC Control Unit Calibration
Where did you find the spec of 1.2K - 20K ohms for the evap temp sensor? I've been up and down SI, and can't find a range. All the diagnostics have you ohm wires, then replace the sensor if it's all good.

I'm getting the feeling that the A/C stopping and the Radio/HVAC head replacement is coincidental. :silly: And I think your reasoning with the Radio/HVAC head and the A/C Heater Module is right on. Google says a new evap sensor is $20-30? I'd take that gamble.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Tyler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

• Chad
More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43540 by Chad

Tyler wrote: Where did you find the spec of 1.2K - 20K ohms for the evap temp sensor? I've been up and down SI, and can't find a range.

I found it on ShopkeyPro. Not, Alldata. (I have Alldata, ShopkeyPro, and Identifix...$450/month in SI :woohoo: )

Google says a new evap sensor is $20-30? I'd take that gamble.

Me, too. ;) I, already, ordered it. I will have it, tomorrow. I don't think it will help, but for $20-$30, I'll eliminate the possibility.

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Chad.

• Chad
More
3 years 7 months ago #43553 by Chad
As a final nail in the coffin, I back-probed the signal wire, at the A/C Heater module. With a DVOM, I monitored the voltage going into the A/C Heater Module. 1.66 volts going in, 3.02 volts displayed on scan tool. I shorted the signal, directly to ground. DVOM reading dropped to 0 volts, as expected. Scan tool displayed 2.2 volts. New module ordered.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43554 by Tyler
Welp, I'm $30 lighter now. :silly:

I actually thought about shorting the signal to the ground last night! But by the time I got here this morning, you'd already figured it out. B)

• Chad
More
3 years 7 months ago #43564 by Chad

Tyler wrote: Welp, I'm $30 lighter now. :silly:

:lol: No biggie. It'll be absorbed. :dry:

Btw: This morning, ambient temp resistance of original sensor was 3.4K Ω. New sensor was 3.2K Ω ( I might have that backwards.) I chalk it up to Preventive Maintenance. ;)

More
3 years 7 months ago #43609 by Tyler

Chad wrote: Btw: This morning, ambient temp resistance of original sensor was 3.4K Ω. New sensor was 3.2K Ω ( I might have that backwards.) I chalk it up to Preventive Maintenance. ;)

You just saved yourself a warranty comeback. B)

On-topic-ish? Did you know there's a scan tool function to check A/C performance on these? A/C Cool Down Test. Kinda like the Toyota flow test?

I haven't seen enough of these to know if the cool down test is worth a damn or not. :silly:

• Chad
More
3 years 6 months ago #43638 by Chad
New A/C Heater Module installed and all is well. B)

Tyler wrote: On-topic-ish? Did you know there's a scan tool function to check A/C performance on these? A/C Cool Down Test. Kinda like the Toyota flow test?

I haven't seen enough of these to know if the cool down test is worth a damn or not. :silly:

I did not know that. The Verus has many bidirectional tests but, I didn't see a performance test. I wonder if it can be activated without a scantool, by a button push sequence.

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds