Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 RAM Not Shifting, MIL ON P0344 in PCM U1424 & P1DD2

More
3 years 6 months ago #43458 by GSV1
Hi,

I have a customer here in Belgium with a 2014 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi with the following problem:

He had this problem last year also, all summer no problem. Now when it starts raining again he can drive for several minutes, then the MIL comes on and the car stops shifting. He can only drive in 1st gear. When he shuts the car down most of the time he shifts again but only for a few hundred meters. Last year we checked all wiring around and on the gearbox to no avail. We also changed te camshaft sensor as we get a code for this but also to no avail apparently. But after changing the cam sensor he had no more problems until now, but we had a very long dry period so that may be the reason for the problem to not show up until now.

I hope somebody recognises this problem as these trucks are of course much more common in the US.

Thanks in advance!

Karel

PS: Please ignore the P0201 DTC as (almost) all these cars here in Europe run on aftermarket LPG (Propane) systems and this DTC is common when switching over from gas to LPG.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43489 by Hardtopdr2
Check the pcm connectors on firewall for corrosion/green stuff on terminals. Since its under windshield on firewall water could be getting to it also ground points for pcm and fire wall connections.

Edit:

This issue (not specific to your codes) is fairly common on the ramforum.com most common failure is tcm module some were a combination of solinoid , wiring harness to valve body and valve body/valves in valve body. However note that they did not disclose codes except for 1 mention of a p0750 code.

With water (rain) being a contributing factor of the issue this seams like a wiring issue like i initially said but added this just to cover a possibility to check down to tcm as well
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43492 by GSV1
Hi Hardtopdr2! Thank you for your reply.
Very good tip, we did check all the wiring and connector of the TCU as this is underneath the car and in direct contact with water when raining but we have not yet checked the connectors/wiring to the PCM. We will do this as soon as possible (customer has car back with him) and report back here!

More
3 years 6 months ago #43511 by Hardtopdr2
Just came across this in the dodge forum has all the codes u have. Looks to be a software update plus a cam sensor.

dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/383527-trouble-codes.html

More
3 years 6 months ago #43512 by GSV1
Thanks again Hardtopdr2! The software update part is a little bit harder in these parts of the world as there are no more Chrysler / Dodge / RAM / Mopar dealers here anymore. (They all disappeared long time ago). I once tried to get a account on Techauthority it is I believe so I could do updates myself with passthru but never got it to work. Luckily I know a former Chrysler dealer in the Netherlands just over the border here, They can still do updates so I will ask them. I will try this and report back here!

More
3 years 6 months ago #43515 by Tyler
I'd treat the U1424 and P1DD2 as symptoms of the P0344. Has anyone tried hitting the engine bay with a garden hose?

More
3 years 6 months ago #43518 by GSV1
Hi Tyler,

Good idea!
We have not tried it yet, but now Friday the car is here again and we wil sure try this.
Thanks for thinking with us, I will post updates here.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43555 by GSV1
Unfortunatly I don't have pictures, but at the right plug on the PCM there was a lot of corrosion where the made the connections for the LPG (propane) system. The installer did solder all the wires but used cloth tape instead of isolating tape or shrink tubing with glue thus attracting moisture with a lot of green stuf as a result. One of my mechanics cleaned all of this and put on isolating tape for now. Normally if we install such a system we always use glue lined shrink tubing. But for now we used tape as we have to cut all the wires and resolder them if we want to put on shrink tubing. The only thing is the cam wires don't need connecting for the LPG system, only power & ground and all of the injector signal wires. Still this looked very suspect and would cause problems in the future anyway. Hopefully the cam sensor error is gone now also. Tomorrow we go for mandatory inspection with the car (bit like smog testing in the US) so then we drive it a bit. If no problems there we will hose the engine bay down with water to see what happens then. If all good I think we fixed it! I"ll update tomorrow

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds