Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

What are these Ign.scope views are telling?

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43422 by Batiscafo
4Runner 1995 A/T 2X 3VZ-E engine
engine does not run well a any speed
Fuel pressure 39 psi with regulator, 39 with it on.
New plugs, wires, distributor, coil, igniter, injectors
Idles bad at 850 rpm, real missing a lot somewhere between 2000 and 1400 rpm
runs better at approx 3000 rpm
Starts easier if cold. after a long warmup, slows its rpm and misses even more until it quit with some kind of backfiring (gentle)
Makes no difference at any time of the paper clip is on or off on the Engine Connector
Exhaust recirc valve vacuum disconnected now, and inspected a few weeks ago and did seems to move up and down closing well with easy.
Timing belt checked recently
Knock sensor new mounted temporarily on one of the engine lifting ears.

What do these HV Ignition are telling, I have no clue.?????

The scope used was: Pico 2205A with HT-25 probe right at each cylinder HV wire. Engine on fast idle, approx 900rpm Chanel B
For some of the cylinders I had to change the voltage setting because it needed just a touch higher.
Thanks

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Batiscafo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43423 by Chad

Batiscafo wrote: What do these HV Ignition are telling, I have no clue.?????

Your time base is WAY too fast. You are set on a time scale of 2µs/Div. (Circled in RED). Try slowing it down to 1ms/Div. Also, increase your sample rate (Circled in BLUE).

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Batiscafo

More
3 years 7 months ago #43431 by Desmond6004
When it's misfiring turn it off and check the spark plugs. Are they all the same colour or is only one or two different. It helps to establish whether it is a "global" problem or limited to a few cylinders.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Batiscafo

More
3 years 6 months ago #43441 by Batiscafo
Thank, I will do today. Yesterday I blocked the EGR and run perfect on idle until it warmed up.
What would cause this?
It idles very well until a full warm up, then starts to miss, lower rpm and quits with one big bang that I think was on the exhaust side
??
Thanks

More
3 years 6 months ago #43442 by Batiscafo
Well, a good lesson learnt today really like your bottom quote the one above by Chad. Good reading early in the morning, will see if I can apply both.
Thanks

More
3 years 6 months ago #43446 by Batiscafo
Just posed for a while and looking at the attached schematic that I think that maybe a good strategy would be to check the performance of the:

air temperature sensor
EGR tempt.sensor
engine coolant temp sensor

Since the engine runs very well on cool idle but quits when hot

The only strategy I can think for that would be just take the scope hooked at at the ECM from cold to hot (have only two channels and one 20X att enuator.

Any other ideas?

More
3 years 6 months ago #43498 by Batiscafo
Why would be the timing(spacing) be different if the engine is more or less running at a "constant" speed for the ppurpose of on firing to the next?
See pics below.
Thanks

More
3 years 6 months ago #43513 by Batiscafo
Desmond:, Thanks. I did and the six plugs were loaded with back stuff that I then interpret it as that it is a general problem.
Also checked the Volts at the ECM for the coolant sensor and it was out of wack, so got a new one and will install today.
Since I cannot measure exhaust and was running crappy I "assume"(bad thing) it was running lean, but I goofed also because i try hot with a little propane and did not improve, which should have told me that was running reach.
Another assumption: since it was running very rich probably the O2 sensors were max out and maybe even fouled by this time.
As soon as I get the plugs in, I will try the scope on the O2, but really I do not know what the chart would look like. I will have to research what would be a typical O2.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds