Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2020 Toyota Hilux P0500

More
3 years 7 months ago #43394 by Paul6004
I have a 2020 Hilux here with a pending P0500 code [VSS].
Initially someone wired up the trailer plug wrong and grounded the tail light feed. Our technician went out and
repaired the damage and fitted a trailer module at the back, connected to the tail light feeds and with a 12v feed
running down from the battery.
Then they called us and said "something you did " has the traction and engine lights coming on.
I had a look at it and cleared some codes in the ABS module for low voltage and open circuit RR wheel speed sensor.
Also in the pre-collision module there were codes U012587 "lost comm multi axis YAW rate sensor"
and U010087 "lost comm PCM".
After clearing all these codes the lights no longer come on when driving the vehicle. BUT: P0500 comes right back in the
ECU. The engine light hasn't come on again yet but P0500 shows as a pending code.
The speedometer works fine, the ABS module shows vehicle speed - but there is no vehicle speed in live data
in the engine ECU.
Does anyone know where the VSS is on a 2020 Hilux?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Farid hussein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43396 by Paul6004
Replied by Paul6004 on topic 2020 Toyota Hilux P0500
I have a feeling it's the 3 wire sensor behind my mirror in this picture, I'll scope it.
The transfer case threw me out because it adds so much length to the back of the transmission, I thought that
area was too far forward to to have a vss.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43400 by Paul6004
Nope, that was just the neutral switch that responded each time I changed gear.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43416 by Desmond6004
Replied by Desmond6004 on topic 2020 Toyota Hilux P0500
So, Saturday morning so I'm not at work today but yesterday I got the full story. The shop that fitted the new deck on the back had bolted a tail light wire to ground - called us out, and one of our guys fitted a trailer module and replaced some missing fuses in the fuse box to get everything working.
Then all the warning lights came up on the dash so the owner took it to the dealers. The dealers couldn't figure it out and said "It's the trailer wiring that's causing the problem". Surely if they can work that out they can fix it. The other, most likely solution is that they haven't a clue so needed something to blame.

Getting involved in discussions because I have a lot to learn still.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43417 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic 2020 Toyota Hilux P0500
So this truck has had the factory bed replaced with something? VSS might be in the rear diff......

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43418 by Desmond6004
I had a look at the rear diff - there are two lots of two wires going to connectors/back of sensors, going in there. I connected the oscilloscope and one wire had 12v feed while none of the others had anything or responded to the diff being turned (both wheels moved in the same direction of rotation at the same time)
I concluded that perhaps one was for activating the diff lock and the other was perhaps a switch to confirm that it was locked.
I'm also wondering why a modern vehicle with canbus and vehicle speed from the ABS system would even need another speed sensor?

Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Desmond6004.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43428 by Desmond6004

Matt T wrote: So this truck has had the factory bed replaced with something? VSS might be in the rear diff......

Been giving it some more thought. Monday morning I will double check the wiring to the diff and see where they go to. It may just be in there.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43451 by Paul6004
Monday morning - the top two wires on the diff are attached internally - probably going to a solenoid to pull in diff lock. The one on the side is a switch with a small "umbrella" on the end to register the diff lock engaging.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43453 by Paul6004
Finally found it with some guidance from the www.tat.net.au/member-area.htmlTAT forum . The instrument cluster sends out a vehicle speed signal to
all the other modules. Behind the radio is a black connector wit all the speed signals splitting up. Most likely due to
the worker [won't refer to them as a technician] who bolted the tail light feed to ground, then swapped fuses around,
there is a burnt wire in the harness which was melted to the VSS signal wire. After moving that wire we now have vehicle speed
in live data. [note: the Launch CRP123X is a brilliant little scan tool]

More
2 years 10 months ago #49626 by Baruc
Replied by Baruc on topic 2020 Toyota Hilux P0500
Tengo mismo problema fue despues de intalar sistema de sonido

More
5 months 4 weeks ago #63353 by Farid hussein
May someone help me the solution for this challenge

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds