Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2003 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0l No Crank (usually), No Start

More
3 years 7 months ago #43391 by KCooley
Hello everyone, I am needing help badly. Since I love the youtube videos I figured this is the best place to go.

Bought this used Ranger for a restoration project. It was a little rough, but it ran good. After driving it for a little over a week I had to replace the master and slave cylinders and line. A few days after I had picked up the truck from the mechanic I was driving across town and it just died as if I had turned the key off. Lights were all on, but engine would not run. Tried popping the clutch while I was still coasting but that also failed to start it. After walking across town to grab my tools and having the wife bring me back to the truck it started right up. A couple days later I was on my way to work and it once again died on the highway while holding speed at 60. I could not get it restarted. It would not turn over at all. I could hear the relay, I could hear the fuel pump. (Starter tested good.)

So... after the last 5 months of crawling around the truck I have found a burnt radio wire from an improperly installed radio as well as a burnt wire running from the dimmer pot.(of my interior lights) to the radio harness. I have also figured out that by playing with the clutch and key I can eventually get it to turn over however, it will not fire. In fact, it hasn't fired in over 3 months. When it WOULD fire, it would start right up. I was also able to retrieve the diagnostic codes from the PCM. Now there is no communication with the PCM while attempting to use my scanner.

I have a cheap scanner. I did hook it up and pull the code though. (b1342) Not being too sure about what I am doing when trouble shooting any vehicle with a computer, I went to a friend who is a mechanic who hooked it up to his diagnostic scanner. He pulled the following codes:

p1000 b1317 p1867 p0500
p0135 b1318 c1939 b1877
p2195 b1483 b1342
p1804 b1359

So, my front O2 sensor on the passenger side is disconnected. I can't even find the harness connector for it.

I will also note here that I have replaced or the previous owner has replaced the following:

Battery, crankshaft position sensor, ignition coil pack and ignition (twice). I have also bought a replacement PCM just in case. (yeah, I know...I'm a darned parts changer...) I should also state here that when the problem started I assumed a ground fault somewhere. Upon inspection I found the negative battery cable was hanging free at the engine block. I got a bolt and bolted the cable back to the block and tried starting it. It fired right up. It idled for about half 10 minutes and I shut it off. I then remembered my battery had been neglected so I went to start it back up to allow my battery time to charge some more and got nothing. It hasn't started since.

Sorry so long, just wanted to be able to give a somewhat clear picture of the issue. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43393 by KCooley
No, it idled for the full 10 minutes.

Sorry, part of an thought I had typed out and deleted.. mostly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds