Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Kia Optima p2096, no LTFT

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43314 by hotrodkia
Just bought a 2008 Kia Optima 2.4L 183k miles. It sat under a tree for a year or so. Mouse nest in cabin air filter. CEL on with p2096. Burned the half a tank of old gas out of it, filled up with fresh gas. P2096 is persistent. Engine pings moderately.
Using the few kia-compatible tools I have to log data. Confused. Scan tool indicates closed loop fueling. LTFT perpetually stuck at 0.0%. STFT oscillates +/- 5%. o2s1 switching looks healthy(to me) and indicates proper a/f mixture. o2s2 is steady around .8 with engine warmed up.

Forgive this ugly log. I created a lean condition and this is how the system responded. Top graph is red ltft/green stft, bottom log is green o2s1/red o2s2.
The oil doesn't smell like gas.
I've ordered new spark plugs, engine air filter, and fuel filter as standard tuneup items for an old car that's been sitting. Not sure how to proceed with this issue.
Recommendations for a competent, cheap scan tool to use on this car?
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by hotrodkia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43321 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Kia Optima p2096, no LTFT
I'd suggest carefully checking the exhaust for any exhaust leaks between the upstream and downstream O2 sensors. Cracks, pinholes, anything. Listen with a mechanics stethoscope. Soapy water can be helpful, but only when the exhaust is cold. Hot exhaust will just boil the water off. :lol:

More
3 years 7 months ago #43334 by hotrodkia
Replied by hotrodkia on topic Kia Optima p2096, no LTFT
Thank you. An exhaust leak didn't occur to me before but it makes sense. I haven't smelled or heard any evidence of one but I'll look it over closely.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43641 by hotrodkia
I've kept driving it and the pinging has mostly subsided and the CEL turned off for now. I inspected for exhaust leaks and couldn't really find anything. o2s12 is still reading rich but apparently not enough to set the code. If the code sets again I'll check and advise.
Replaced the air filter and cleaned the maf and it seems to be idling a bit smoother.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43642 by Andy.MacFadyen
Cleaning the MAF was a good idea Kia are really sensistive to MAF calibration and dont tolerate aftermarket MAFs well.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotrodkia

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #43654 by hotrodkia
MAF seems oem to me but I didn't look very close. After replacing the air filter I took it for a ride and the CEL popped on and I was wondering why it was idling like shit. Then I realized I didn't have the maf connector fully seated. That caused maf, IAT codes as well as p2096.
I still have no long term fuel trim though, even after driving the car for a bit with no CEL. Does it need to finish a drive cycle or something? Would it be smart or worthwhile to reset the computer via the alligator clipped battery cables technique?
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by hotrodkia.

More
3 years 6 months ago #43795 by hotrodkia
I noticed the lean condition was causing the car to go into OL-drive with virtually any load on the engine.
I replaced the fuel filter and spark plugs and its running pretty good now. It's no longer going lean and the fuel control is working better. It's staying in closed loop except when it shouldn't. I haven't noticed any pinging and it pulls better.
o2s2 is still reading rich. No p2096 but also no LTFT still.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44496 by hotrodkia
It's still running and has been mostly CEL free since my last post. No p2096, but I had a p0420 set once in the past 1000 miles. Cleared and it hasn't come back.
I have some LTFT action but its strange. Responds intermittently and changes in increments of .8. Stays around 0% +/- 5%.
Pinging is mostly gone besides occasionally at WOT it will ping up a storm. Not sure what's up with that.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds