Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Ford Ranger - Static P2565

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43054 by Saverauto
Vehicle is 2.2L P4AT Diesel PX Ford Ranger, MT. Vehicle was built in Thailand and is meant for the Pacific market, I think. Year is probabably 2012, 2013.

Vehicle came in for an oil change & to check the transmission warning light.

Scanned vehicle & there were no fault codes. Test drove vehicle & check engine (not the transmission) light came on. Scanned vehicle & found the following fault codes:

P066* - Cylinder 2 glow plug circuit
P2565 - Turbocharger boost control position sensor circuit high

Deleted the fault codes & they stayed off. Informed the customer of the fault codes & told them that they would need to bring the vehicle back in if check engine light came back on.

Customer came back two days later with check engine light on & informed us that vehicle had lost power.

We scanned the vehicle again & found the same two fault codes as before.

P2565 can be deleted but then re-appears again once engine is started. When this happens, engine goes into limp home mode & has low power.
Sensor circuit high suggests that either the sensor is bad or the signal wire has shorted to power (5V). The sensor itself is a 3 wire sensor and comprises a shaft which moves in & out in response to pressure changes.

The first thing the mechanic did was remove the sensor & inspect it. The shaft moves freely without restriction. Using a wiring diagram to identify signal & ground terminals, the mechanic also checked sensor resistance. Resistance parameters are unknown but the resistance changes consistently & proportionally when the shaft is moved in & out. The sensor connector/plug & base wiring were visually inspected & found to be okay.

Plugged sensor back in & back probed wiring, KOEO. There is a solid 5V supply to the sensor, the signal wire reads 0.5V. When a vacuum (10-12 psi) is applied to the diaphragm via mityvac , the sensor signal peaks at 3.9V (a seemingly normal reading but again parameters unknown). Therefore confirmed that the signal wire is not shorted to power. Installed a second hand sensor (known to be good) but the same problem re-occurs.

The next thing he did was adjust & lengthen the rod that connects the diaphragm to the waste gate. The thinking here was that the sensor reading would drop because of the change in position & travel. Turns out that this is not the case as it is the vacuum applied to the diaphragm that dictates the sensor signal? Thought that maybe the vacuum control solenoid valve was at fault (stuck open). Installed a second hand (know to be good) solenoid valve but the fault still re-occurs. Just for a try, disconnected vacuum line from diaphragm & let engine idle...P2565 did not re-appear!
Spoke to soon because on test drive check engine came back on & fault code for sensor circuit low appeared.

Customer has been referred to Ford dealership.

Anyone have a similar experience/know of a fix?

I was thinking of connecting a resistor in line with the signal wire to drop the signal voltage down a half a volt. Reckon it's worth a try? (if vehicle comes back to us).

In hindsight the only other thing that should've been checked is the duty cycle control to the vacuum solenoid.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Saverauto.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43055 by Saverauto
Attached photos of turbo for reference

More
3 years 7 months ago #43057 by Hardtopdr2
You need to check the ground wire for sensor as well. Ohm it after disconnecting both ends then load test the ground. Also using mighty vac and dmm slowly apply vac till 25 hg or 4.5 volts and let off slowly. That code will set when voltage goes over 4.8 volts. After these then probe signal wire at pcm and test drive it. If it goes over 4.8 then check for short to 5 v ref. Cut back harness cover going back to pcm and look for melted pinched bare wire.

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #43078 by Saverauto

Hardtopdr2 wrote: You need to check the ground wire for sensor as well. Ohm it after disconnecting both ends then load test the ground. Also using mighty vac and dmm slowly apply vac till 25 hg or 4.5 volts and let off slowly. That code will set when voltage goes over 4.8 volts. After these then probe signal wire at pcm and test drive it. If it goes over 4.8 then check for short to 5 v ref. Cut back harness cover going back to pcm and look for melted pinched bare wire.

If the signal wire was indeed shorted to power wouldn't it read high all the time?

With KOEO signal wire reads 0.5V. When gradually applying vacuum the signal voltage increases. Signal voltage also maxed out @ 3.9V; the amount of vacuum applied at max signal voltage I don't know (gauge reading wasn't recorded at that time). 3.9V is lower than the 4.5V we should've read...maybe probe wasn't connected properly?

What we do know is that the fault code appears when -11psi of vacuum is applied to the diaphragm.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Saverauto.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43104 by Hardtopdr2
If the short is intermitant (vibrations) when engine cranks then code will set. It does not need to be stuck high to set code just go over 4.8 volts. So probe signal circuit go for a ride with scope hooked up or a graphing multimeter set to volts dc. If it does it it will show it. The other possibility is the signal wire is broken internally and makes contact then momentarily looses contact and causes a voltage spike. Just hook up test leads to each end of wire on ohms and tug on /stretch out wire see if it goes to OL on meter. Otherwise a loose terminal at pcm or sensor could cause it. Just need to check pin drag for the conectors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saverauto

More
2 years 2 months ago #54464 by capochichi.abel
Hi scannerdanner this is Abel from Bénin also know as local champion,I am having the same issues with ford ranger 2.2 diesel same Dtc did later found solution for urs?

More
1 year 8 months ago #57686 by krv
Replied by krv on topic Ford Ranger - Static P2565
any cure out there ?

More
1 year 8 months ago #57687 by Hardtopdr2
Don't know he has not responded if it is fixed or what he found what was causing the issue

More
1 year 7 months ago #58285 by capochichi.abel
hi family i am sorry for the delay i finally adjust the waste gate rod to bring the signer voltage down to 3.3-3.5 volt in idle and my problem was solve

More
1 year 4 months ago #59233 by Saverauto
Had another Ford Ranger with the same issue. Not sure if it happened before OR after the clutch set was replaced.

Once engine is turned on there is a static code: P2565 - Turbocharger boost control position sensor circuit high

Using a vacuum pump & scan tool, found out that error code appeared when vacuum of 10psi applied OR sensor voltage reached 4.02V.
When the engine is off, sensor voltage reads 0.42V.

KOEO: sensor connector was disconnected & circuit integrity checked. Good 4.98V supply, good ground & no short to voltage on signal wire.

Wanted to avoid opening removing the turbo to adjust the waste gate rod (turbo sensor work not included in quote) so I thought of two possible options:

1. Insert resistor into signal wire to decrease sensor signal voltage
2. Create air slight restriction in wastegate vacuum line to so waste gate moves a little less therefore decreasing sensor signal voltage

Used a Toyota MAP sensor filter & some sponge inserted into a vacuum line. The restriction was created between the vacuum solenoid & the wastegate diaphragm.

When engine is turned on now the error code no longer appears. Sensor signal voltage now maxes out at 3.95-3.97V.

With car in neutral, slowly increased engine rpms to 3000. Snap throttle to 3500rpm. Check engine light did not come back on.

Well, wastegate movement is still happening because the sensor is picking up movement. I don't know how it'll perform on a road test.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? Especially with regards to turbo performance. If there's negative feedback on this then I might have to bite the bullet & remove the turbo.

Thanks in advance.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59235 by capochichi.abel
i think you dont need to remove the turbo out before adjusting the waste gate rod i did my in the truck without removing the turbo it just 10-15 minute job,And after adjusting the waste gate rod also learn the position on spercial function on your scanner

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #59236 by Saverauto

i think you dont need to remove the turbo out before adjusting the waste gate rod i did my in the truck without removing the turbo it just 10-15 minute job,And after adjusting the waste gate rod also learn the position on spercial function on your scanner

10-15 minute job...sounds good to me

Is your Ford Ranger a PX model with a 2.2L diesel engine?

From where I was standing today there wasn't much room to easily reach the wastegate rod adjusting nut. Even with the air filter housing & turbo hose removed. Wastegate rod is under the turbo.

You've mentioned that you also carried out a position relearn. I don't recall seeing this on the G Scan 2 special function menu. The battery was disconnected for a few months while the car was sitting in the yard. It's possible that it's lost the settings for TC sensor position & indeed needs a relearn?

Will definitely take a second look

Thanks.
Last edit: 1 year 4 months ago by Saverauto.

More
1 year 4 months ago #59242 by capochichi.abel
I used Autel ultra for the learning I have gscane 2 also but I didn’t remember if it has the option, the attachment below is how it looks the turbo on my ford ranger 2.2 just takes the turbo pan it so easy to adjust if you have small fingers like mine thanks.
Attachments:

More
3 months 6 days ago #64474 by moham6e6
Replied by moham6e6 on topic Ford Ranger - Static P2565
Hello all, I know the post is old but I just ran into a similar issue and hope the below solution helps someone out.

Do a read on your fuel temperature (bad switch reading started at 40C, good switch at 23C when IOEO, 120C for bad and 23C for good when idling). My fuel temperature sensor was bad, replaced it with a new one and the vehicle was good to go. 

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds