Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

O2 sensor

More
3 years 8 months ago #43017 by Ernrod
O2 sensor was created by Ernrod
I have a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5l.
I have a p0420 code.
O2S1 does not fluctuate, on a snap throttle I get very little response. Can I get a Cat. code for a bad 02 sensor?
I attached some pictures with live data, and snap throttle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #43018 by Chad
Replied by Chad on topic O2 sensor
A bad O2 Sensor can result in a P0420.

However, Sensor 1 is not a normal O2 sensor. It is an Air/Fuel ratio sensor. They operate differently.

I am not too knowleged on them, myself. But, hopefully, Tyler will chime in soon. I'm sure he can offer some valuable info.

"Knowledge is a weapon. Arm yourself, well, before going to do battle."
"Understanding a question is half an answer."

I have learned more by being wrong, than I have by being right. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ernrod

More
3 years 8 months ago #43022 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic O2 sensor
I don't love the amplitude of the B1S2 O2 sensor. :( It's peaking out at .57V, which is definitely low. That can be caused by a number of different things.

Speaking of O2's, is this a California emissions vehicle? Because the scanner shows the B1S3 O2, but the bias voltage of .27V suggests there's no sensor there. Have a look at the VECI (Vehicle Emissions Control Information) label under the hood to find out.

If possible, clear the codes and go for a test drive that includes highway cruise and several WOT runs, and save the data file (the floppy disk icon in the upper right). Recheck the behavior of the B1S2 O2, as well as the ALPHA and A/F Adjust PIDs. This is important because this Nissan doesn't always command the B1S2 O2 heater on at idle, only driving down the road. ;) That can change its behavior dramatically.

To directly answer your question, YES, a bad O2 can cause a P0420. But I've never seen it. The 2.5L catalytic converters, on the other hand, fail all the time. :silly: Sometimes they go chemically dead, sometimes they crack at the welds and leak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chad

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds