Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Pilot 2003 EX - In-Cylinder Testing Waveform

More
3 years 8 months ago #42766 by AguilarPro
I used a pressure transducer with a 0-150 psi range; .5v = 0 psi & 4.5 = 150psi. Here is my waveform on cylinder #4, I see that the peak is a bit low but I cannot find what is contributing, I did observe a bit of oil on the spark plugs, engine has misfire in at least 4 cylinders, Bank 1, 4, 5 & 6. The misfire on the #1 appeared after I swapped the plugs from cylinder 4 & the misfire stayed in 4 as well. From this waveform, can someone spot something I'm not seeing, I see vacuum (0.254v = ~ -9psi); valve opening is right at .5v which is 0psi for this sensor. The high peak is 2.033v = ~ 57.5 psi; I will do a reading with a needle gage but for those oscilloscope savvies, I thought I would ask here to see if there are any anomalies that I can't see. Red trace is computer control on/off for the ignition (unplugged).

Disconnecting the Coil does not change engine RPM which means the misfire is constant, this car can run without 3 plugs lol; good O2 sensor compensation to keep it alive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42781 by Tyler
Looks OK to me at first glance :huh: Compression towers aren't leaning, the decompression and intake vacuum levels are equal enough. No excessive backpressure, as far as I can tell without looking at the capture file myself.

Peak running compression may be low? The old rule of thumb is that running is 1/2 to 1/3 of static. Have you done a static compression test with a gauge? It may be valuable to compare your running with static.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42900 by AguilarPro
There is a misfire in this cylinder and owner has changed plugs and coils since it had marked down about 3 misfires at the time on this bank. Unfortunately these banks are monitored by the same O2s so I can't confirm which side is bad. I have a feeling this is a valve issue that is a bit loose thus causing the misfires. I noticed that when I accelerate I can get the short fuel trim to be around 1 and long term about .80. upstream O2 oscillates all the time, car does not lose power during acceleration. Misfires are marked on 5 cylinders when accelerating. Downstream O2 goes lean when accelerating (around 0.1). I was hoping I could have a sample of what a valve lash gap issue looks like under a scope.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42903 by Tyler
If it helps, I've always had much better luck identifying valve lash issues on these engines with a pressure pulse sensor, instead of in-cylinder.

I took this off an '05 Odyssey which would set miss codes on all cylinders, but only count misses on #4. A pulse sensor on the intake showed a corresponding low intake pull on #4:

I noticed that when I accelerate I can get the short fuel trim to be around 1 and long term about .80.

I'm surprised it's not throwing a P0172. :huh: Rich trims are another indication of a valve lash issue, IMO. With the engine fully warmed up, no loads, in Park, what is the MAP sensor voltage? We'd like to see .9V.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42908 by AguilarPro
I have collected enough data in regards to that with the Verus Pro (multiple PIDs) I will share that info when I get home. I also noticed that he EGR valve is sitting at 1.86-1.88 when not operating, Verus pro says it should be around 1.2v when closed. This to me seems like the EGR valve is partially open (dirty), I cleaned the EGR flowpath that feeds each cylinder as they were all clogged; unfortunately I have not cleaned the EGR valve because it is almost melted down on both bolts lol so I will probably needs to replace the base along with if it if I break it. I replaced the $4.00 PVC valve as it appears to be open all the time. Car has no issues starting now as it used to but the misfire is present; of course it also flags the VTM-4 light with the miss. I don't think the MAP is that low in voltage, this is another thing I was suspecting since the vacuum goes lower as I accelerate and peaks when I decel for a split ms but I will have to confirm that when I look at it.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42913 by Tyler

AguilarPro wrote: I have collected enough data in regards to that with the Verus Pro (multiple PIDs) I will share that info when I get home. I also noticed that he EGR valve is sitting at 1.86-1.88 when not operating, Verus pro says it should be around 1.2v when closed.

Ah yeah, that'll do it! :silly: The Verus is right on. Shame on me for not thinking of that earlier. :blush:

You could always try giving the valve a few love taps with a small hammer/flashlight/screwdriver to see if the valve will free up.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42914 by AguilarPro
Tapping the EGR did not move the pintle unfortunately lol (I have watched too many ScannerDanner videos using the hammer tap) B) . I was watching the scanner data while I was doing this. Sometimes it would get stuck around 2.0X when I manually activated it and I got it to shutdown after a second try but the PCM does not flag it so I guess it doesn't affect it much. During acceleration it does have some activity but goes back to closed really quick.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42928 by AguilarPro
So, I checked the MAP value and noticed that it is about 1.4 at idle and when I rev it up, it has more compression. The only time I noticed it went higher was when I snapped the throttle as you can see in the capture, I also included O2 captures & Fuel trims. Am I looking at a intake leak or under reporting map?

More
3 years 8 months ago #42929 by AguilarPro
So, I checked the MAP value and noticed that it is about 1.4 at idle and when I rev it up, it has more compression. The only time I noticed it went higher was when I snapped the throttle as you can see in the capture, I also included O2 captures & Fuel trims. Am I looking at a intake leak or under reporting map?

More
3 years 8 months ago #42930 by Tyler
I still think you're looking at a stuck open EGR. The trims get better off idle because there's more air entering the engine, so the mixture dilution effect isn't as severe.

I think you have enough evidence to justify getting that EGR valve off somehow. :lol: Once you get it off, you can confirm the valve hanging open, AND plug the intake port and recheck the MAP and your trims.

You can do a quick rationality check on the MAP by observing the voltage KOEO. Should be right around 2.8V. The BARO PID should match your local barometric pressure.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42935 by AguilarPro
Did I mention I get random misfires on at least 5 cylinders during accel and maybe around 3 when idle? They all appear to be consistent, I tried to get vacuum waveform with my eBay transducer but it did not work lol. What I did is, I went back to check the in-cylinder waveform and I feel like the valve is not fully closing. See my picture when zoomed in vertically.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #43128 by AguilarPro
So I removed the EGR and it was a bit open, pushed it back and reinstalled it, I think it got permanently stuck when I reseated it and now it won't actuate lol, I tried manually doing it and didn't work. Computer threw a code on if after driving it like 10 miles or so, the code was due to EGR not lifting xD.

I did not see any misfire codes stored anymore; maybe needs more driving. I notice that when it is at idle and I monitor the misfires, I get "Yes" for 2 cylinders but I think is not something that is bad just the car having misfires every now and then. I test drove the car and I got no misfire events during my drive or light. I think it needs more driving, I did have a temporary code set for the EGR but no misfires, I believe this slightly open EGR was causing the misfire.

I got the PV500 and tried monitoring the pressure changes in the intake and I do not see activity; maybe I got a bad one. I guess I will have to get one of those absolute transducers to use for these type of things. I will eventually get the WPS500. I will post back to confirm if this was a fix. PCV valve was stuck open too so there was always airflow from there as well, together with the partial open EGR may have been a fix.

Test Drive data; MAP is better 15 vs 10 (now) with EGR closed.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by AguilarPro. Reason: Adding PID data during test drive.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds