Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

(3) wire crank position sensor polarity.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42458 by RimmersTechSWE
I am working on a 1999 Fiat Punto (176) 55 horse FIRE enging with single point injection.
The injection system was intermittent and I traced it to a break in the wiring for the Crank position sensor I cut the wires (moulded connector on the sensor pigtail) and bothched together with twist connections temporarily and it seemingly fixed the problem. The wiring has 2 insulated wires and a braided shield I am wondering wether the sensor is polarity sensitive and how to find the right polarity. (Want to crimp new EV1x3 connector onto it)

While I'm at it. This fault came to light while re assembling after a head gasket repair and since the valves looked a litte suspicios so I might have rotated the cam so that it is 360 degrees out of phase, could that be te reason for fuel coming up into the intake rather than going into the cylinder?

Thanks

Mathias
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by RimmersTechSWE.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42491 by guafa
Hi Mathias,

If i understand you. There is not possibility that crankshaft gets 360 degrees out of phase, because every 360 degres in a 4L engine, both pystons 1 and 4 are at top dead center again. Every 180 degrees of camshaft rotation, camshaft gets synchronization to top dead center of a couple of pystons in crankshaft.

The PCM uses CMP (camshaft) and not CKP (crankshaft) to synchronise injectors firing (in a sequencial system). There are cases which PCM usues cylinder recognition and engine doesn´t have CMP sensor. In that cases while engine is cranking, PCM fires all injectors at the same time until it recognises between cylinder 1&4 or 2&3. At that point starts the programed firing order 1,3,4,2.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42508 by RimmersTechSWE
The engine has a 3 wire crank (TDC) sensor and a 1 wire sensor that goes intor the head so I assume It's a cam sensor but I guess it could be knock.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42509 by Darren
Although its an inductive sensor and one wouldn't think that polarity matters it actually does. What happens when you switch the wires around is the signal waveform becomes inverted and may cause issues with your PWM. I haven't experienced this myself but I was folling a thread a while back (iatn I think) where a guy had a similar problem to yours (broken crank wires), turned out the PWM got confused with the inverted crank signal. The shielding on the crank harness is there purely for noise suppression.

Hope this helps.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42511 by Andy.MacFadyen
From your desription it is a two wire inductive sensor, reversing the polarity on these makes a difference. Also from your description the valve timing may be out by only a tooth or two

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

The following user(s) said Thank You: RimmersTechSWE

More
3 years 8 months ago #42514 by Darren

RimmersTechSWE wrote: The engine has a 3 wire crank (TDC) sensor and a 1 wire sensor that goes intor the head so I assume It's a cam sensor but I guess it could be knock.

The one wire sensor that screws into the head I would say is the knock sensor. Cam sensor is normally a three wire (square wave).

More
3 years 8 months ago #42517 by RimmersTechSWE
Yes might well be out by a tooth or 2 but I guess it might also be related to the fact the the induction side valve on cyl1 does not fully close. I didnt' really want to continue with the car after I discovered that but the owner asked me to put it back together so I did. It did run very briefly on sarting fluid before I cut the sensor connector off so it might well be polarity reversed at the moment. IT stopped running because the battery was out of juice. Maybe I shouldnt say it ran but it rather coughed but the engine was cranking really slowly.

The timing marks are not very clear on this particular example so it would be very easy to be out by just a little on the cam wheel. The car harness for the TDC sensor has also been worked on before so I'm not the first one to discover the problem It's just that the current owner has never noticed.

Thanks you for a very good answer.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42519 by RimmersTechSWE
On this car the crank sensor is called tdc sensor. Since it is a SPI (Electronic carburettor) system it always fires the injector all the time but might fire the spark plugs together 1+4 and 2+3 every time each group is nominally at tdc since it seems to only have 2 coils (Wasted spark?).
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by RimmersTechSWE.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42523 by guafa
Can you see injector spraying fuel while cranking?. That way you can verify CKP sensor is at least alive.

Can you post a picture of CKP sensor? It seems you have a variable reluctant sensor as CKP. It does have polarity.

The fact that is a waste spark system, demands a CMP sensor or cylinder recognition.

If polarity of CKP sensor is inverted, this engine wont fire injector, neither spark.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42526 by RimmersTechSWE
It's like an ancient abs sensor and reads a knobbly ring on the crank pulley. Yes I can se that fuel has been sprayed because the mouth of the SPI unit gets wet and It smells like fuel both from the intake an exhaust.

cdn.autodoc.de/uploads/360_photos/14429669/preview.jpg

Im not sure it's wasted spark it might have 2 coils in each pack but it has 2 packs and the HT leads marked 1+4 go to one of the and 2+3 goes to the other one so I assume it is because it very much an economy car and 2 coils would be cheaper than 4 coils.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by RimmersTechSWE. Reason: Forgot to answer some questions.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42532 by guafa
I have seen some systems which before cylinder recognition, primes intake manifold with a little fuel (about 250 ms depending on ECT reading). That could be your case and doesn't mean you have good CKP signal.

For sure if you don't recognise TDC, you cannot fire any coil (i mean PCM.

If you are unsure of CKP connection, you can just swap wires. It is important that noise shield be grounded.

According to your description. It's a waste spark system. You can also prove that by watching plug wires (1&4) firing together.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42533 by RimmersTechSWE
The car has a light that looks like an injector symbol that comes on when you turn ignition on and goes out like the glow light on a diesel after a few seckonds I assumed that was the priming indicator. The ignition barrel is also very notchy (sticky) so that could also be an issue if all else fails.

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds