Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

MB W210 overfueling bad

More
3 years 8 months ago #42416 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic MB W210 overfueling bad
Ohm tests are not reliable and to assure whether or not bidirectional led test is reliable, you must know injector circuit (some have a weak bias voltage signal which can confuse you).

I suggest you to follow scannerdanner test procedures.

Let's suposse you are suspecting a bad injector driver and assuming also this system has an injector driver for each injector. You can just unplug one injector at a time and watch if exhaust gases improve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42417 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic MB W210 overfueling bad

Wyeth wrote: Had a bit of time now, and stuck a bi directional led across the injector leads while disconnected from the injectors with the ignition in position 2 and engine not running, and the led lights up. Not very bright, but it lights up. is that normal?

That may be the drivers leaking a couple milliamps, which isn't that unusual for semiconductors. Since the LED was dim I wouldn't worry about it personally. You could repeat the test with an incandescent test light if you want to be 100% sure.

Wyeth wrote: Found this on the site, describes exactly what Im having

Are you getting noticeable misfires and clouds of white smoke?

Best way to get some direction here is to hook up your scan tool and get O2 sensor, fuel trim and loop status data. That's if the vehicle even has O2 feedback. Beginning to wonder since you're in RSA and there isn't anything in the data you posted earlier related to it....

More
3 years 8 months ago #42418 by Wyeth
Replied by Wyeth on topic MB W210 overfueling bad
No misfires at all, and yes, startup I get greyish white smoke and when I rev it up there is also that same smoke, not just as much. When I rev it up, it doesnt come down as quickly as I think it should. Gosh I need to get this sorted

Will see if I can do live data tomorrow and post here.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42427 by Wyeth
I just noticed, according to Autodata, at idle, injector time should be 3.5ms

More
3 years 8 months ago #42429 by Matt T

Wyeth wrote: I just noticed, according to Autodata, at idle, injector time should be 3.5ms

That's about right. It sounds like your PCM is overfuelling the engine for some reason. Before you fire the engine up to get O2 data grab the temperature PIDs KOEO. They should be around ambient with the engine cold.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42462 by Wyeth
Going to disconnect the maf later, and run a few tests and see what type of measurements I get.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42472 by Wyeth
So this is what I get with the MAF disconnected

BENZ_EN_TEST_00014>E(210)>As of 03-1997>210.063 - E280>Manual>ECM - Engine Control Module(HFM SFI, ME2 SFI)>View Data>Test engine 1:
Total Frame: 1 , Supported Items: 23
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Frame 1/1:
B11/4(Coolant temperature sensor)
26°C
B11/4(Coolant temperature sensor)
N/A
Intake air temperature
-60°C
Engine speed
797rpm
Engine speed
804rpm
Engine load
28.11%
Air mass
1434.10kg/h
Throttle valve angle
1.93°
Ignition angle
-1099.80° CA
Torque
72Nm
Injection time
13.04ms
Battery voltage
11.45V
Purge control valve on/off ratio
56.46%
Specifiedvalve Hall sensor pedal value sensor 1
0.37V
Specifiedvalve Hall sensor pedal value sensor 2
0.38V
Actualtor actual value potentiometer r1
-34.90V
Actualtor actual value potentiometer r1
3.90V
HFM-SFI voltage
0.00V
Fuel tank level
Too Low
Full throttle recognition
OFF
Idle speed recognition
ON
Engine oil temperature
-40°C
Engine oil level
12.62mm

More
3 years 8 months ago #42473 by Wyeth
can def see an increase in injector pulse time as well as air mass air flow. But honestly cannot say I understand what Im looking at. BTW, I cannot view O2 sensor data

More
3 years 8 months ago #42474 by singhharry12
I like these cars and think they represent a nice balance between full on luxury (S class) and economy (C class).

More
3 years 8 months ago #42475 by Wyeth
Not when they give issues :-)

More
3 years 8 months ago #42478 by Matt T

Wyeth wrote: can def see an increase in injector pulse time as well as air mass air flow. But honestly cannot say I understand what Im looking at. BTW, I cannot view O2 sensor data

The PCM appears to have substituted a MAF value which is too high. That appears to be what has driven your injector pulse higher. Your ECT is also lower than the data you posted earlier, and IAT is unplugged and defaulted to -60*, which could also have increased the injector pulse.

Regards O2 data have you confirmed the vehicle has O2 sensors?

More
3 years 8 months ago #42479 by Wyeth
Car has O2 sensors, but Im unable to test it with the scanner I have. For some or other reason Im unable to get into the OBD mode.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42480 by Matt T

Wyeth wrote: Car has O2 sensors, but Im unable to test it with the scanner I have. For some or other reason Im unable to get into the OBD mode.

Being an RSA vehicle it might not have an OBD-II mode. Can you see loop status or fuel trims anywhere in your available PID list?

More
3 years 8 months ago #42481 by Wyeth
No sir, unable to see anything like that with this scanner.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42482 by Wyeth
This scanner does support the O2 test, but not via the 38 pin connector. And you are correct, no obd2 port on this vehicle :-(

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42485 by guafa
Replied by guafa on topic MB W210 overfueling bad
Hi guys,

Let me know if i´m wrong, but i´m afraid we don´t have any direction yet. These tests were not conclussive.

With Maf unplugged, scanner is still reporting something about 1.4 tons of air per hour (did exhaust gases improve?). Target for this test is to check whether or not pcm is reading Maf correctly.

Pulse width about 13ms, but coolant temp now at about 20 celcius. That tells me ECT is changing but not whether is catching or not actual temp.

Air temp now at -60 celcius? ok, IAT is inside Maf, but air temp doesn´t change that bad pulse width (not from 4ms to 10ms). Corrections of pulse width due to air temp are up to 20%

We have to know if scanner is lying. We need a base line. We need to check with another tool
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by guafa.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42488 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic MB W210 overfueling bad
The obd port is behind the knee pad under steering column you might have to remove pad to get to it. Should be next to hood release and may have a cap or flip out cover on it. Also when plugging into the obd 2 port reinstall cap for diagnostic port under hood otherwise you might/ will get a no com as there are jumpers in the cap to allow use of other port. Fyi
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42492 by Matt T

guafa wrote: Hi guys,

Let me know if i´m wrong, but i´m afraid we don´t have any direction yet. These tests were not conclussive.

With Maf unplugged, scanner is still reporting something about 1.4 tons of air per hour (did exhaust gases improve?). Target for this test is to check whether or not pcm is reading Maf correctly.

Pulse width about 13ms, but coolant temp now at about 20 celcius. That tells me ECT is changing but not whether is catching or not actual temp.

Air temp now at -60 celcius? ok, IAT is inside Maf, but air temp doesn´t change that bad pulse width (not from 4ms to 10ms). Corrections of pulse width due to air temp are up to 20%

We have to know if scanner is lying. We need a base line. We need to check with another tool

You're not wrong. Only direction we have at this point is ECT might be reading low and holding the vehicle in open loop. That's if you believe the scanner.

Without reliable scan data that also includes O2 feedback PIDs it's gonna be tough to diag..........
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Matt T.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42507 by Wyeth
For the life of me I cannot figure out where on the scanenr I saw O2 sensor ampere draw. If I recall, the one was pulling something like 43 amps while the other 13 amps. And im positive these where pre cat readings. Im going to spend soem time with the scanner tonight adn let you guys know.

For what its worth, engine coolent temp sensor aint that exspensive, so might as well replace it. I was getting different readings on the scanenr and the dash temp. Scanenr was reporting about 10deg lower than dash reading

Time to create page: 0.289 seconds