Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 Silverado 5.3L 2WD: P06DD Engine OIl Pressure Control Sol Valve Stuck Off

More
3 years 8 months ago #42210 by John Clark
I have a 2014 Silverado 2WD 5.3L in with the code P06DD Engine Oil Pressure Control Solenoid Valve Stuck Off code. It is the only code. I found the service bulletin below:

# PIP5141D: SES Lamp P06DD Set - (Jul 28, 2014)
Subject: SES Lamp P06DD Set

Models: 2014 Chevrolet Corvette
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
Built with RPO's 4.3L 5.3L 6.2L L83 L86 LT1 LV3
This PI was superseded to update Administrative Details. Please discard PIP5141C.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
A vehicle may set a P06DD code with no drivability concerns.
Recommendation/Instructions
If P06DA, P06DB, and P06DC are not set with the P06DD.
Gather the following information.
1. Run the engine to 100 c or 214 degrees F
2. Check the oil pressure at idle with GDS
3. Run the engine at 1100 rpm for 45 seconds and record the oil pressure.
4. Run the engine at 3500 rpm for 45 seconds and record the oil pressure.
5. Perform the following with GDS with the engine at 100 c or 214 f
5.1 Run the engine at 1400 rpm command the OCV on and off 10 times on the 11th time record the reading on and off .
5.2 Run the engine at 2500 rpm command the OCV on and off 10 times on the 11th time record the reading on and off.
Record all readings then contact GM TAC

Labor Operation Description Labor Time
4066070 Oil Pump Testing and Replacement Use published labor operation time

This is a two stage oil pump controlled by a solenoid. When the solenoid is ON, the oil pressure is reduced. When the solenoid is off the oil pressure is normal/higher. I get all that but there is no documentation anywhere about what these numbers should be. The TSB even makes the techs call GM to determine the next step after gathering the above data. I haven't done the exact data gathering as described above but I can command the solenoid on and off and I do see increases and decreases in oil pressure but not by much. I'm guessing (that's the problem) it needs a new oil pump but wondering if anyone knows what I should be looking for to determine good vs. bad.

Thanks,
John

Full TSB attached

File Attachment:

File Name: MC-10112131-9999.pdf
File Size:90 KB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #42217 by John Clark
Update
I've gathered the data that the TSB asks for and it seems when the oil gets hot there is little to no change when the solenoid is activated. When it was colder I could see the oil pressure change when activating and deactivating the solenoid so I'm certain the solenoid is working. There are circuit high/low/open codes that can be set for that solenoid circuit so I don't suspect an electrical issue as none of them is stored.

Below is the data I gathered per the TSB. The oil pressure varied on the scan tool so I posted the ranges of the pressures I saw.

Gather the following information.
1. Run the engine to 100 c or 214 degrees F
2. Check the oil pressure at idle with GDS: 22.6 - 27.8psi
3. Run the engine at 1100 rpm for 45 seconds and record the oil pressure. 38.9 - 42.9 psi
4. Run the engine at 3500 rpm for 45 seconds and record the oil pressure. 52.8 - 56.9 psi
5. Perform the following with GDS with the engine at 100 c or 214 f
5.1 Run the engine at 1400 rpm command the OCV on and off 10 times on the 11th time record the reading on and off. ON: 42.3 - 45.8; OFF: 44.7 - 45.2psi
5.2 Run the engine at 2500 rpm command the OCV on and off 10 times on the 11th time record the reading on and off. ON 42.9 - 49.9; OFF: 47.6 - 55.78

Additionally, the checks ran for the code on the ignition cycle in which I took the above readings and the checks for the P06DD failed this ignition cycle so the above oil pressures actively set the code. Computer doesn't like it.

I suspect a bad oil pump as it seems to be an issue on these but not sure how to confirm 100%. Wondering if anyone has worked this issue before or has some known good data.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by John Clark.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42226 by Hardtopdr2
I would ohm the solinoid and compare that to what it should be in service information. To me those oil pressures look good but i dont have the parameters the oil pump should be putting out in front of me. Typically solinoid stuck off is a short in solinoid or terminal area broken off causeing it not to operate. Never hurts to check.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42229 by John Clark
I can bidirectionally activate the solenoid. I can hear it click on and off. I'm confident the solenoid is moving so don't see any need to ohm the solenoid. I don't have any circuit codes either. It's an 11 hour job to R&R the oil pump and solenoid so I just want to be confident of what it needs. I suppose it doesn't much matter since if I go in that far as it's getting an oil pump, solenoid, and harness anyway, but I'd sure like to know what I should see.

Again, when hot, I'm not seeing much of any change in oil pressure between solenoid on and off. When the engine is relatively cold I can see the pressure increase and decrease.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42239 by Matt T
Didn't find any good data with a quick web search but did see several mentions of incorrect oil or filter setting this code. Since the pump and solenoid do appear to be working I'd be tempted to fire an oil change at it unless you know for sure it has the correct oil in it.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42243 by John Clark
Yeah, I've suggested that first. Owner is going to try that and see what happens. Truck has 160K on it so I'm not optimistic.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44615 by kdamos
My truck is throwing the same code. Wondering how this instance went for the owner. One thing I found very odd in the freeze frame readout is that oil temp was showing -40C. That would be impossible as the ambient on both codes were in the -13C and -8C. I thought maybe this would be a clue if the oil temp dipped to out of range and the computer calculating oil viscosity. Not sure how that relates back to the solenoid stuff to off... Any information could prove useful for my own diagnosis.

I only have 112k on the truck... 2014 as well. 4wd sierra.

More
3 years 5 months ago #44646 by John Clark

kdamos wrote: My truck is throwing the same code. Wondering how this instance went for the owner. One thing I found very odd in the freeze frame readout is that oil temp was showing -40C. That would be impossible as the ambient on both codes were in the -13C and -8C. I thought maybe this would be a clue if the oil temp dipped to out of range and the computer calculating oil viscosity. Not sure how that relates back to the solenoid stuff to off... Any information could prove useful for my own diagnosis.

I only have 112k on the truck... 2014 as well. 4wd sierra.

I never got the truck back nor did the owner do anything about it last time I checked with him so I was unable to get any further info. I don't recall looking at the oil temp on the truck. A -40C reading would indicate an open circuit (low temp = high resistance) for that oil temp sensor. Could be a bad sensor, unplugged sensor, or broken wire. I would think you'd have some kind of code stored for it but maybe not.

More
3 years 4 months ago #45421 by kdamos
The dealer is claiming the truck does not have a oil temp sensor and default value is -40C. The code and symptoms disappeared days after... it is now back again. Maybe another 1000km on the truck now. I was looking at the pressure gauge quite regularly and noticed that at idle and truck relatively warm from short drive the gauge was at the 1:30PM approx. Shortly after that and me letting it idle to see if the pressure would return to 12PM to 10:30AM it threw an engine light again.

It certainly seems like the symptoms and code suggests. For some reason the solenoid gets stuck off (high pressure). Wondering how seriously I should take this. Is it a precursor to a complete solenoid failure?

I was disappointed I didn't get an email from your reply. I'll have to check my settings. Happy holidays!

More
3 years 4 months ago #45423 by Matt T
If you're seeing that -40* in generic OBD-II the dealer is probably right. Looks like engine oil temp on these trucks is calculated rather than actually measured directly.which could make it a "substituted" value which can't be shown in OBD-II. You'd probably see a believable temperature in the O.E. data.

More
1 year 9 months ago #57133 by Masterse7en
Hey guys, so I'm having the same problem with one of our vehicles that we just sold.

So here's the history, we buy newer vehicles that were totaled by insurance be it by collision or flood, this one was a front end collision, all was repaired, and truck was fine being test driven, someone purchased it, literally first day they picked it up they called us back with a CEL with p06DD, p0171, and p0300.

I smoke tested for a vacuum leak and found none, I noticed some oil on the frame on the driver's side of the truck however saw no leaks, I'm assuming someone spilled oil when adding, however there was oil on the upstream O2 on the left side.

Anyway I read up on the tsb, soi replaced the oil pump assembly with solenoid, however when I took the oil pan down, and removed the windage tray, there was some decent sized pieces of shaved metal, I cleaned them out, and took a chance however, there are no oil pressure issues no noises, the truck only has 22k miles on it.

Anyway I have replaced the oil pump put new oil in, new filter, and thought all was well, test drove the truck for two days, and thought it was good, gave it to the customer, not even two miles down the road light comes on.

Soi out the scanner to it, I operate the ocv, and I can hear it working, operated it while engine is running, and the pressure values change correctly, however when I just took it on a test drive, the ecm never commanded the ocv on, it was off the entire time, and when I get the engine speed up, the pressure goes up pretty high with it, but ecm is never commanding it on from what I see.

I tested the circuits and all are good, brand new solenoid and pump in there, so I'm kind of stumped here.

At idle however, cylinder 3,5,7 are misfiring periodically, I checked my fuel trim and bank 1 is at a +35, I checked for leaks again and still none, I read the O2 sensor data, and the upstream O2 on the driver's side doesn't seem to fluctuate much so I'm assuming I need a new O2 which I just ordered.

I'm really hoping that this O2 solves my problem otherwise I'm going to point at an ecm, however I'm worried about the metal in the engine, the only thing that I can think of to rule out any internal damage is maybe extra metal from the insides of the block from casting? I don't know, but the lower end has no bearing damage at all whatsoever, I pulled a few rod caps off and they were all perfect.

Anyone deal with this issue before?

More
1 year 9 months ago #57134 by Masterse7en
Whew, finally figured it out, believe it or not it was the upstream O2 sensor for bank 1, it's on the same ignition B+ circuit as the oil control solenoid, the O2 was shorted out causing a fake leak lean condition, my short term trim on B1 was +35 after replacing the O2 it's totally back to normal and I just took it for a test drive and the ecm is commanding the ocv on and off as it should
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy.MacFadyen

More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 9 months ago #57148 by Andy.MacFadyen
Nice work !

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Andy.MacFadyen.

Time to create page: 0.327 seconds