Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Hall effect sensor messurements

More
3 years 9 months ago #42197 by Norbert
VW Touran with BLS engine-code to work on.
Car stores a faul-code for the G28 crankshaft-position-sensor and the car intermittent stutters when it takes a bend / turn.

My idea was to test the cables going to the crankshaft postion sensor.
The problem is:
It´s almost unpossible to unplug the sensor and test voltage + ground directly at the sensor, because it lives behind the oil-cooler in a pocket of the engineblock.
My question:
Would it be possible to messure a voltage directly at the connected plug of the enginge computer, at the negative lead, if the sensing wheel at the crankshaft is in a defined position + ignition on?
OR
Possible to get voltage at the signal wire when the enginge not runs, ignition on (plug connected to the engine computer) if the sensing wheel at the crankshaft is in a matching position???

I never did such messurements before, because it was always possible to take messurements directly
at the sensor.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #42207 by guafa
Hi Norbert,

In general speaking (i don´t know exactly this one), you can backprobe at PCM connector signal wire.

If you have a scopemeter, you can watch voltage falling and rissing in a square waveform with engine running. With a multimeter, you can see an average voltage with a value between ground and VCC.

You can also watch voltage rissing(VCC) and falling (0V) with key on engine off and spinning slowly the crankshaft.

Bear in mind that this test is not 100% accurate. This test doesn´t stress the sensor (you are not simulating different temps, speeds, interferences). If you check wiring/connector integrity, reluctance Wheel integrity, clear the code, check that sensor is switching as described and code pop up again, you should replace it.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by guafa.

More
3 years 9 months ago #42272 by Norbert
Thanks for answering. I know that I can check the signal coming from the sensor via scope. The question I have is, if it's possible to see voltage on the negative lead back at the engine computer connector. My thought is that the hall element leads voltage through if the sensing wheel is in a defined position?

More
3 years 9 months ago #42275 by guafa
In that case you would see current (no voltage) in the micro amps range.

If you would see voltage, that means PCM (and sensor in consecuence) it loosing ground. Which is the case while cranking.

More
3 years 9 months ago #42277 by Donut
Yes, you can check crankshaft signal at the pcm connector. In some cases it's the better spot to test from to be sure the signal is making it back to the module.

"Don't ever say 'easy' until the check clears."

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds