Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

1996 tacoma,2.7

More
3 years 9 months ago #41927 by Herc53
1996 tacoma,2.7 was created by Herc53
I have this 1996 Tacoma,2.7 .It came in with balance shafts chain slung off .And main timing chain crank sprocket split with 2 teeth jumped forward .
I replaced all these.Checked Compression,180 ish throughout engine.I've checked all wires from ignitor,distributor,crank sesnor to computer all have good continuity. Ohmned crank sensor ,2100 .
This engine only sputters weak. It will only fire on the spark plugs #1 and # 4 cyl . I have new plugs,new wires and new distributor.
I'm stumped at this point ? Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to fix this free of charge for some folks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41961 by Hardtopdr2
Replied by Hardtopdr2 on topic 1996 tacoma,2.7
Did you check reluctor ring the crank sensor reads? Could be broken when gear broke

More
3 years 9 months ago #41963 by Herc53
Replied by Herc53 on topic 1996 tacoma,2.7
I did look at it when i reinstalled the chain . I checked it today while spinning engine over . Im getting 93 millivolts . I was able to get a code today with a fixed scanner .p1300,po340,,p0100, i gonna test ignitor tomorrow. Im not sure how to test this cam position sensor thats built in the distributor. I think i will need a scope to continue this Test . And I’ve never used a scope . So im gonna need help here for sure .

More
3 years 9 months ago #41966 by Hardtopdr2
I meant the actual metal toothed ring that passes in front of the sensor did you look to make sure no teeth were broken off. How did you obtain 93 millivolts from the crank sensor ?should be 0-5 volt square wave or 0-12 volt square wave. A dmm will not read correctly with crank sensor as it averages the voltage reading unless you turn crankshaft by hand. You can however use a dmm to read a camshaft sensor because it turns much slower.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41973 by Herc53
No teeth were missing on eluctor ring. I measured crank sensor with a fluke in A/C millivolts . I had wife to spin it over for a good bit . It actually threw some codes . And before i never had a single code on it . It even came in with timing chains slung off with no codes . It appears i got a problem with cam position sensor inside this distributor not sending pulse to ECU when Crank sensor does . ECU maybe struggling to map out #1 TDC possibly? But # 1 is firing and # 4 but # 2 and 3 cylinders won’t fire . And 1 and 4 is just a faint poop fire . But a good blu spark at the spark plug . But no spark on plugs for 2 and 3 cyl. Whats a good scope to purchase with a clamp ? Its also throwing a ignitor fault . Im not sure how all that plays into it !

More
3 years 9 months ago #41975 by Hardtopdr2
Ok thats good about reluctor ring. You can use the dmm to see if you are getting pulses from cam sensor or a testlight probed into signal wire to check for pulses. If its not sending 1 pulse for each cylinder i would take the distributor back and get another one.

The other thing to check is the coil or coil paks. if it has them check it/them for ohms across primary circuit and secondary circuit. Then compare that to the resistance chart in your manual. I say this because a shorted coil can mess with the other if it is coilpaks.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41979 by Herc53
The Distributor has A built in coil . I will try to read pulses . I’ll let you know . Thanks Hardtopdr2

Time to create page: 0.280 seconds