Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2013 Dodge Dart 2.0L Ltd : Vent button not working

More
3 years 9 months ago #41606 by robert.lesaca

File Attachment:

File Name: powertop_s...cuit.pdf
File Size:113 KB

KOEO, I checked powers and ground at the module (which is a part of the motor) and my meter read12.41V and 0V respcetively. At the sunroof switch, I checked wires for the open, close and vent positions and they all read 12.4 V and would read around 4.2V everytime I press on each respective button; HOWEVER the vent button would not command the sunroof to open despite the presence of power and ground. Im suspecting module.

The drk grn wire for theswitch return, read 463 mv...any further suggested testing to confirm if module indeed is fualty, Id appreciate it very much.

Thank you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41610 by Tyler
I dunno if it changes anything, but I went and found the OE diagram for the switch itself. I don't always trust redrawn diagram circuit descriptions. :angry:

So pins 2, 3 and 4 only pull down to around 4V with the switches closed? That reading of 463mV, was that with any of the switches closed?

Does the sunroof respond to the auto open and auto close functions?

I agree that it's not looking good for the module. :huh:
Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago #41613 by Hardtopdr2
Open and close functions are from one motor i believe the vent function may be another motor. I would check that and see if the contacts are coroded or if vent motor is bad.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41617 by robert.lesaca
no, its only one motor...

More
3 years 9 months ago #41619 by robert.lesaca
what i hv is the mitchell one...yes, sometimes they gv out the wrong diagram but this time the both look the same

anyway, yes all switch pin 2,3,and 4 do drop to about 4V when depressed...now I retested the the sunroof switch return (pin5) and it showed about 1.8mv - i dont why i got 463mv earlier- and when I depress switch2 and 4, pin5 would read about 15mv; and depressing switch3, pin5 would only read about 2.1mv. it seem to me some resistor problem in the module...its pointing more to the module.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41620 by robert.lesaca
the open and close switch does respond though without letting go of the switch

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41621 by Tyler

robert.lesaca wrote: anyway, yes all switch pin 2,3,and 4 do drop to about 4V when depressed...now I retested the the sunroof switch return (pin5) and it showed about 1.8mv

Looks good to me. B) I agree, module sucks.

Now you get to find out how much the sunroof means to the owner.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Tyler. Reason: derp

More
3 years 9 months ago #41624 by Hardtopdr2
There seam to be two intermediate connectors from the switch to the module 1209a and 1309a. This is where the colors of the wire change from dark green to org/ yel. I would ohm these wires from module to switch backprobing to see if you have anything other than 0 ohms. Then see if you can manually vent the sun roof by applying power to vent function of motor. If 0 ohms test current flow with a test light if it lights up bright and vent motor functions then module is the problem.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41625 by Cheryl
Do you get any scan tool data pids that show what position the button is held in? Or any bidirectional tests?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41627 by robert.lesaca
I wl toy around with it. I was actually thinking of tapping power from the light bulb to supply vent switch. I wl let you know of result.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41632 by robert.lesaca
Cheryl unfortunately no scan data/pid in my scanner nor does it hv a bi-direc control

More
3 years 9 months ago #41633 by robert.lesaca
read 6.7 ohm on grn wire/pin5. I used the test light, it did lit but no vent reaction on sunroof. any other idea on how to manually activate vent switch?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41635 by Cheryl
What scanner are you using?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41636 by robert.lesaca

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41977 by Hardtopdr2
A fused wire to battery positive and touch the motor feed wire. Looks like that green wire has an issue it should read 0 ohms from end to end of wire.

Also both the module and the switch share the same ground (right side of driver foot well g212)

Would ohm pin 9 of module to ground and pin 6 of switch to ground.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42325 by robert.lesaca
As agreed upon, the owner drove back the car for retesting. I did all power, ground, control, fuses and relay. They all checked normal; ohm test pin9 of module and pin6 of switch and read 0 ohms. I asked her if by any chance she pressed the vent button longer than usual; she couldnt remember. So I did try to "re-learn" all the buttons as recommended by Chrysler. AND IT DID FIX the problem. I rminded her to just press and release the button everytime she wants to sunroof to open.

It could have been an expensive module replacement as intial test pointed to that direction...this car is FIXED
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah, Tyler

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 8 months ago #42330 by Noah
Nice find! Thank you for updating with the fix :)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 years 8 months ago #42335 by Donut
I've gotten into the habit of attempting an initialization of any window or sunroof that a customer has an issue with and buddy, that's saved me from some headaches on more than one occasion.

"Don't ever say 'easy' until the check clears."

More
3 years 8 months ago #42336 by Tyler
Well done, Robert. :cheer:

I gotta say, I probably would not have thought to try a relearn. Was there something in the service info that got you thinking along those lines?

More
3 years 8 months ago #42351 by robert.lesaca
The lady was kinda in arush when she first brought in the car. While testing for electrical integrity, I noticed when I pressed the vent once or twice, it did jerk the sunroof a little bit and then I couldnt replicate it. But she had to drive for an errand but I told her to bring it back. IOn the meantime it gave me enough thinking and my GUT feel was ...that module is not defective neither was the switch; must be something loose or broken; but it was the fact that the ven button did move the sunroof a bit. Then I remembere about relearnign dodge auto window and sunroof...THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR USUAL INPUTS

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds