Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Replace Lines on Rack?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41558 by Tutti57
I was trying to save my sister in law from replacing the rack on her 2012 Routan since the leaking line is one that comes on the rack. I took it off last night and was surprised to find it is not just a double flare or anything like it. There is a flare but also a thinner tube that looks like it goes inside something, and a rubber o ring. I have never tried to do this type of repair to a rack so maybe they are all like this, but does anyone have any experience making a line or is she going to have me put the whole unit in after a long hot day in the shop, on my back in her driveway...

Nissan Technician

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41560 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Replace Lines on Rack?
Can't say I've ever made a line like that. :huh: Was the P/S fluid coming out from between the flare nut and the rack? Or between the line and the nut?

If I were you, I'd probably try to find a new O-ring, and use some RTV on the nut threads. Clean/dry the fittings in the rack and give it a few hours to cure.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41561 by dfends@hotmail.com
Yeah that’s a certain kind of flare and the o ring seals it . I don’t think the line is available comes with the rack . It’s a Routan but if I’m not mistaken it’s a caravan with vw emblem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
3 years 9 months ago #41568 by Tutti57
Replied by Tutti57 on topic Re:Replace Lines on Rack?
The line was rusted at one of the bends and not at the fittings, so I was hoping to just do a cheap fix for her, and yes it is a Dodge. Funny, my Launch Scanpad gives me no info unless I go in under Dodge, ha.

Well I'll let her know she is out of luck there. Thanks for the replies!

Nissan Technician

More
3 years 9 months ago #41569 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic Re:Replace Lines on Rack?
Rather than replacing the rack just buy a reman and transfer the lines you need over to the rack that's already in the van. Then put the bad lines on the reman and return it for the core.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41570 by dfends@hotmail.com
Try call Chrysler parts tomorrow choose same year caravan I think on the drivers door inside is still
The Chrysler sticker see if they have a rack pick see if lines can be bought . If you can see if vin is there I can see if lines are available

More
3 years 9 months ago #41576 by Hardtopdr2
That line is one piece...
If you have a hydraulic brake line flaring tool that does the quick connect fittings it will make those. If not the kit is not cheap ~$300 + for the kit but it does fuel lines, brake line 45 degree and iso metric bubble flare, single flare and a few others. It will flare stainless steel line as well and no mess ups like what is common with the little hand job deal.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41586 by Tutti57
The guy I work next to has one but didn't think it could do them. Is it called a quick connect?

Nissan Technician

More
3 years 9 months ago #41587 by dfends@hotmail.com
That’s great glad you figured it out

More
3 years 9 months ago #41589 by Tutti57
Sorry, I wasn't clear on that response, ha. I haven't tried it yet. He pulled the kit out yesterday but didn't think it would work. I'll have a look today. thanks

Nissan Technician

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 9 months ago #41591 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Replace Lines on Rack?
Is that a 3/16 line? I'd put a compression fitting on that in a heartbeat....

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 years 9 months ago #41596 by Tutti57
Yes. Only problem is that I had to cut it at one of the fittings to get a socket on it due to rust...

Nissan Technician

More
3 years 9 months ago #41599 by Tyler
Replied by Tyler on topic Re:Replace Lines on Rack?
Maybe drop by a local salvage yard? See if they've got another in decent condition. Since it's a rebadge, there'll hopefully be a few different vehicles to choose from.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41616 by Hardtopdr2
The actual flare is called a bubble flare. Sorry could remember it off of the top of my head. But yes his kit should be able to do it.

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41630 by Tutti57
Here is a link to a thread Google found of people with the same problem and better pics. I've never seen a bubble flare like this. Is that smaller part that sticks out not needed? Also, is this a high pressure line?

bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/tech...will-this-do-a-flare

I saw used racks were about $150 and I just don't have time to make it out to the pick and pull any time soon.

This with a rubber hose? Not sure if it's the right size though.

The pressure and return lines have the same ends on them, so if they are the same size I could get one or two of those and cut the end off and run a hose, maybe.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Tutti57.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41631 by Tutti57
Ok, here is my current plan up for review...

I'll have my parts dept get me a pressure line tomorrow so I can compare it to what I have. if the sizes are the same, I'll cut the end off and make it work.

Nissan Technician
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 9 months ago #41743 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Re:Replace Lines on Rack?

Tutti57 wrote: I'll cut the end off and make it work.

Nissan Technician

B)

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds