Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2006 Lexus IS350 P0420 and P0430

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41546 by jaivs26
Hello everyone!

I'm stuck with this car for few days now i can't figure this out!
when i first got the car it came in with these codes:
P0172 - System Too Rich (Bank 1)
P0175 - System Too Rich (Bank 2)
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (bank 2)

I ran the Control the Injection Volume for A/F Sensor test to monitor the A/f Sensor and O2 sensors but to be honest i don't know what i'm looking at
i took a couple of screenshots to see if someone can guide me what to look for

Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by jaivs26. Reason: I uploaded same Images 2 times

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41547 by jaivs26
I forgot to mention that i erased the codes and drove the car 2 days for 20 minutes each time and the only codes that comes back is P0420 and P430
i did check for air leaks on engine and exhaust with a smoke machine and i didn't found any leaks

More
3 years 9 months ago #41549 by Tyler
It looks to me like your Injection Volume test showed good results? :huh: All sensors show rich and lean when you commanded the air/fuel ratio. The downstreams lagged behind a bit, and that's normal. The upstream sensors read close enough to stoich with no change commanded, and seem to move equal amounts during ratio changes.

I normally use that test to look for sensors that respond slowly, or to catch lying sensors in the act. For example, if you commanded a rich condition and one sensor refused to read rich, or was slow to change, that'd be a red flag.

What were your fuel trims at idle and while driving?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41550 by jaivs26
i only have screenshots of freeze frame for P0420 and when i was driving i took a screenshot one the A/F and 02 but i will check the fuel trims right now and post them
Attachments:

More
3 years 9 months ago #41611 by jaivs26
I have more information about this Problem.
I started the car when cold and i took more screenshots when cold start, when purge valve started working and when the cooling fan turned on
also when i was driving on part throttle and WOT

More
3 years 9 months ago #41688 by Tyler
Thanks for the additional info. :cheer:

I see the trim shift when the purge comes in, but the total trims are still very reasonable, IMO. As a matter of procedure, I'd have like to see a capture of WOT from a rolling stop through the 1-2 upshift, just to make sure there's fuel enrichment capability. Your upstream A/F's did go rich, just not as rich as I'd like to have seen. I believe this is because you 'rolled into' the throttle instead of matting it.

Those downstream O2's are switching quite a bit while driving. That's not a smoking gun by itself, but combined with the P0420/P0430, I think you're done. :) Check for any TSB's, double check your exhaust, then suggest cats.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41871 by jaivs26
(UPDATE)
i double check for any leaks again in the engine and exhaust and i didn't find any leaks, i swapped the A/F and O2 sensors from left to right to see if there were any changes or something, i cleared the codes and drove it 2 days for 15 miles each time and i'm getting only the P0420 now .
i ran the test again and took screenshots for mode $06 and i suggested the both front cats. I don't have access to check TSB's.I'll wil post the results after i change the cats, on the meantime these are the screenshots after i swapped the sensors.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds