Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

[FIXED] 2010 jeep wrangler 3.8 other shop installed new engine, long crank P0339

More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #41486 by ed2
other shop installed reman engine, I dont know what company built it. . vehicle keeps throwing p0339 . here is what i have done so far, replaced after market sensor with mopar , CKP. tested wires from pcm to ckp. my 5 volt ref is good . my sensor ground is good ( and they are shared by other sensors) . wires to sensor ohm good, load test good , no short to ground or each other . also scoped crank and cam signals , look ok. I really an leaning towards wrong flexplate ? anyone, have any ideas what am I missing ? Thanks for reading
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Tyler.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #41488 by Tyler
Does it set the P0339 immediately upon startup, or only after driving?

Any other codes along with the P0339?

Any chance you could scope the crank and cam together? So we can check the relationship.

More
3 years 10 months ago #41493 by ed2
no other codes, soon as you crank you get code . i will attach cam and crank scoping. i have to look pattern up, thanks

More
3 years 10 months ago #41495 by ed2
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago #41496 by ed2
does anyone have a good waveform to compare to?

More
3 years 10 months ago #41497 by Tyler
Could you turn the time base down? So we can get more detail in the capture. 50ms or 100ms instead of 200ms.

I'm trying to see if the three-pulse in the CMP is lining up with the low part of the CKP correctly. Here's what I'm looking for:

Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago #41499 by ed2
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago #41500 by ed2
is that the correct waveform for a 2010 jeep 3.8 ?

More
3 years 10 months ago #41501 by Tyler
It does. B) It sure looks like the CKP/CMP relationship is good to me. The sequence of the CMP seems correct, too.

I dunno if I'm nitpicking here? But something about this section bothers me:

In every capture, the low section of the tooth right before the sync notch is noticeably shorter than all others.
Attachments:

More
3 years 10 months ago #41502 by ed2
i am going to pull trans ...... i really an thinking flexplate, customer said it came with a new one , but that dont make it good. i dont know what else to check......thanks for the help. what do you think?

More
3 years 10 months ago #41503 by Tyler
I'm suspicious of some damage to the flexplate during installation. Keep your eyes peeled. B)

More
3 years 10 months ago #41504 by ed2
Thanks for the help. I try not to be a parts changer.... sometimes it hard when your handed something the last guy gave up on..I really appreciate the help. I will let you know what i find... You do have a sharp eye... honestly i did not notice it ... but it is definitely there . Thanks again , ED:cheer

More
3 years 10 months ago #41506 by Tyler
I dunno, I could be way off. :silly:

Can you pull the starter and get a mirror in there? I don't think these 3.8's had much for flexplate access...

More
3 years 10 months ago #41507 by ed2
not really, but new sensor, good wires, pcm has been thrown at it , really nothing left except plate.

More
3 years 10 months ago #41508 by Matt T

Tyler wrote: I dunno if I'm nitpicking here? But something about this section bothers me

That missing tooth part looks OK to me. It falls during the first CMP pulse and rises at about the time the 2nd CMP pulse falls.

What does look wrong is the wide CKP tooth. On the known good it's 3 regular teeth but on the OPs trace it's only two. And the known good has 16 regular teeth left of the big tooth and 15 to the right of it. The OPs has 16 to the right.

I would've marked up the pictures to show this better but no right click :angry:

More
3 years 10 months ago #41509 by ed2
Thanks , than it would have to be the flexplate...... i see waht you are saying, i just was not certain if what he posted was for this vehicle... Thanks

More
3 years 10 months ago #41510 by Tyler
Holy crap Matt, you're right! :woohoo:

So the toothed section after the high sync pulse has an extra tooth. Now it should be easy to find the damage.

The one I posted was from a 2011 Heep Wrangler. I went and looked at a couple more for giggles, and found the same pattern.

More
3 years 10 months ago #41511 by ed2
or its simply the wrong plate.....i will know shortly

More
3 years 10 months ago #41518 by Matt T
I suspect the flex plate has had an extra notch punched in it. This pic I found shows the high sync being 3 regular teeth wide just like the known good.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
3 years 10 months ago #41537 by Tyler
I couldn't find a version of this flexplate that had uneven tooth counts, but that doesn't mean they're not out there.

Can't wait to see what Ed finds...

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds