Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Finally FIXED 2004 Ram cruise turns off

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #41450 by jconiber
I have another issue. My 2004 Ram 2500, 4x4, 5.7L has a problem with the cruise control shutting off above 35 MPH and between 20 and 35 mph when the brake is applied. By turning off I mean the power turns off. I have recently installed a reman pcm due to having a bad coil driver. Since then the issue has been present. The pcm company sent me another unit and same condition. I have verified harness integrity to each wheel speed sensor, watched the speed on my scan tool at each sensor and checked continuity of the clock spring. The transmission output speed sensor looked swollen so I changed that. (What a joy in the salt belt state of NY. Came out in multiple pieces) Still seems it is pcm related to me. I have no ABS codes or lights. Thanks everyone.
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by jconiber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41574 by Hardtopdr2
With the criuse control shutting off when stepping on brake it is actually supposed to do that in that instance. There are conditions that will shut cruise control off. Some are transmission issue with tcc solinoid or shift solinoids, manual lever shift position switch momentarily changing between drive neutral, cruise/turn signal switch malfuctioning, brake switch contact issue, rough road sensing system detecting rough road conditions, abs module issue involving traction control or wheel speed sensor reporting slower or higher speed than the rest (low tire pressure or wheel out of balance or broken belt.

Do you have any codes in pcm, tcm, abs etc...

Alex

More
3 years 9 months ago #41755 by jconiber
Replied by jconiber on topic 2004 Ram cruise turns off
It does not have any codes. It's not cancelling the cruise when I push the brake pedal, it's completely shutting it off. Same with getting to 35 mph, doesn't cancel the cruise, it shuts completely off.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41761 by Hardtopdr2
So the truck shuts down/engine shuts off correct

More
3 years 9 months ago #41781 by jconiber
No the truck does not turn off. The cruise light turns off and will not turn back on until the truck goes back under 35 mph.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41786 by Hardtopdr2
Ok it is being disabled do you have the capability to look at live data? Specifically trans data and bcm?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41818 by Hardtopdr2
Looked up some more info is your cruise control under the hood vacuum actuated? If so use Vacuum guage and check that hose for vacuum while engine is running and driving 20 -30 mph then when it goes over 35 keep an eye on vac gauge see if it looses vacuum.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41842 by jconiber
I can read the other control modules. Just not sure that I'm seeing anything unusual.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41843 by jconiber
My vehicle does not use vacuum. It is totally drive by wire. That being said the throttle sensor is located directly below the battery. I have taken all of the connections apart to look for green wires and found nothing. This is the second PCM I have installed because I'm certain it worked prior to the dead coil driver. I still believe it's PCM related but I'm not sure how to prove it.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41854 by Hardtopdr2
This part is what i am refering to. Should be mounted under hood near brake booster.
Attachments:

More
3 years 8 months ago #42342 by jconiber
I have finally gotten back to this repair and I can say that I haven't figured it out yet. The part you are showing me is not on my truck. I only have a throttle cable into the TPS box under the battery. It is a drive by wire gas engine. Thanks for the ideas though.

More
3 years 8 months ago #42344 by Matt T
Replied by Matt T on topic 2004 Ram cruise turns off
ETC relearn is worth a shot. If the ECM doesn't know exactly where the throttle is that might inhibit cruise.

More
3 years 7 months ago #43056 by JOSEPI
Replied by JOSEPI on topic 2004 Ram cruise turns off
Hello. Are you sure about the vacuum . When you cycle key on there should be a ten sec vacuum pump cycle. I have an 03 ram. There is also a vacuum box under the wiper cowl that can crack and create leaks. The pump is passenger side at firewall. I thought this design went thru 04. Thank you for listening.

More
3 years 2 months ago #46652 by jconiber
Thanks for the replies on this issue. I have sold the truck but the new owner just contacted me and said that he had to replace the PCM yet again due to the coil driver going out. He went to the dealer for his PCm and it cured his misfire and also the cruise issue. The truck does not have any vacuum control for the cruise and it also doesn't have an external vacuum pump. It is a 5.7L gas engine. Thanks again for the help.

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds