Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2014 VW jetta 1.8 crank no start with EPC light

More
3 years 9 months ago #41303 by sebasrc_usmc
My father drove his car without the oil cap for about 100 miles, once we got it home we pulled the spark plugs to check the compression on the motor to see if there was any damage done internally. The compression test came back good on all four cylinders. We replaced his spark plugs and coils since he had never replaced them within the 180,000 miles on the vehicle. Once the new parts were in the motor we went to turn the car back on and the car struggled to stay on and would die and the motor was shaking horribly. My father reattempted the next day to turn it on to drive it to dealership, but the motor wouldn't turn over and the EPC light came on. I am really stumped with the current issue as the car ran fine before we replaced the spark plugs and coils. Any guidance towards the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I would love to solve this issue as I am going to start my first semester at my community college for automotive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41305 by Hardtopdr2
Try putting old coils back on. If the new coils are are defective it should startup with the old coils. I say this because even new parts can be bad out of the box. The other thing woild be to double check you have coils hooked up correctly (coil conector not swapped with the cylinder next to it)

More
3 years 9 months ago #41317 by sebasrc_usmc
Everything is connected correctly only issue we have is that we threw away the old coils the day we replaced them.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41320 by Hardtopdr2
Well that sucks.... do you have a scanner to read codes? If so check to see if you have codes p0301-p0304 that will tell you which cylinders are having issues. If not do you have a ocilliscope? Or graphing mutlimeter?

More
3 years 9 months ago #41324 by Matt T
Battery is probably low by now. That might be your no crank.

The rough running go over everything you've worked on and double check that everything has been reconnected properly. I googled EPC just to see what it was and saw throttle body mentioned. Did you unplug it so you could hold the throttle open for the compression test?

Did you check the plug gaps before you installed them?

More
3 years 7 months ago #43226 by sebasrc_usmc
Hello, sorry for the late reply yall but thank yall for all your input. Here's what I have done so far; I got the battery recharged, I checked to see if the coils were producing spark with a test light, which it was. I was able to get the codes pulled and it has three codes: p0100 (problem with camshaft position actuator), p2294 ( bad fuel pressure regulator, loose connector, or damage wire harness) and p2295 (system cannot correctly control fuel pressure.. such as an open circuit). Apparently from youtube videos I have seen on VW their high pressure fuel pump have a cam follower on their pumps (correct me if I am wrong). How can I test the high pressure fuel pump to see if it has failed and could there be a open in the wiring? The pump has a connector that runs towards the coils, I have checked the connectors on the coil (4 wires) with my test light. There are 2 wires which are ground the brown/green and brown wire. The red wire is power which everything checked out but there is a wire that's different on each coil which has no power or ground. What would that wire be? I remembering watching a case study on a VW not the same model or year as mine, but if I remember correctly it the wire that sends confirmation to the ECM. When I checked the connector (2 wires) on the high pressure fuel pump there was no power on either wire. The wires are red/green and purple/grey. What should my next step be? I haven't taken the intake manifold off to reach the injectors to check with my test light as it I don't have the tools to remove the intake but they are on the way.

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds