Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

Fuel injector replacement

More
3 years 8 months ago #41212 by al514
Hey all, hope everyone is well. My question is I'm going to be replacing my injectors on an '06 Honda crv. Is it better to pull the injectors on a cold engine? And then installing the new ones, I was told that injector seals swell after being removed, is this true? Can I just pull the injectors on a cold engine and reinstall any that aren't bad? My concern is the seals, I've heard different things from different people, so I had to ask here where we have decent techs. Thanks all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41216 by Andy.MacFadyen
I won't say I haven't done it but look at this way do you really want to have to do the job over again for the price of some Viton O rings. One trick that sometimes works to shrink swollen O rings is to wash them in warm water using hand soap.

The above applies to normal gasoline engines, on a GDI or diesel new sealing washers are essential.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 8 months ago #41217 by tech25
Replied by tech25 on topic Fuel injector replacement
Hello, your car should use a port fuel injection system. which means the injector uses low fuel pressure ( around 50 psi ) and is located in the intake manifold and squirts fuel in the port behind the intake valve. you have simple rubber o-rings on these injectors, remove then when engine is cold, 0-rings can reused, inspect and if in good condition, coat them with some silicone paste for ease of installation.

the fuel injectors you are talking about are GDI ( gasoline direct injection ) these injectors are on newer cars and use high fuel pressure, around 800 psi at idle, and up to 3,000 psi at higher rpm. these injectors are installed in the cylinder head and squirt fuel directly in the combustion chamber. these injectors have a teflon seal around the tip, and once they are removed the seal will swell and thus be impossible to put back in the head. you can cut them off and install new seals, and put a "sizer" on the end to keep them small until you are ready for installation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41221 by al514
Replied by al514 on topic Fuel injector replacement
Thanks guys, my main concern was the seals, I've heard don't reuse them, that they swell once you pull the injector, that they had to be replaced before reinstalling them. Pulling the injectors cold makes sense too. Thanks again.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds