Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

{FIXED} engine running on only one side

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #41178 by 92explorer
Your videos have helped me learn a lot. I am working on a 92 explorer. it has a low power issue under load. disconnect plug wires 1,2,3 and no engine change, even with em all off. tested coil, it's good. have spark at plugs, removed injector 2 wire and no change in engine running. did the test light test have power to injectors batt neg to wire. however I have no pulse on other wire batt pos to wire. key on engine off have power to both wires batt neg to wires. I wanted to prove the power to both wires and checked other side, its the same. Removing any one plug wire on other side of engine 4,5,6 and there is a change. I found the number 1 injector wire had bad insulation and was crossing both wires to itself, repaired harness and re ran tests. still same. removed harness to open it and check for any unseen issues inside under plastic covering, no issues, no more bad wiring insulation. I did notice when testing batt neg to trigger wire on injector i got a lighted test light and the other two injectors clicked one click each time I touched wire with test light. I am friggin stuck and can't think no more.
Runs rough as in a steady vibration (light) but an even vibration, revs up however when letting clutch out to move it bogs down ( like the equinox you were trying to move that had bad fuel pump ) I have 30psi at idle and 40psi at snap on fuel rail. This all happened after removing engine to replace oil pan gasket, while there I also changed rod bearings and mains and put a melling high volume pump in and a new timing chain set, yes cam time is on
Attached are pictures of timing, wire issues and the corrected wire issues
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by 92explorer. Reason: added more info and pictures

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41180 by Cheryl
I’m confused so your not getting any injector pulse on 3 injectors?? Put a noid light in place of the injector and unhook fuel pump relay crank see if it pulses. I’m betting you cooked the driver in the pcm the 2 wires touching. They might be group fired.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41181 by Cheryl
I’ll look a wiring diagram up today and see
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noah

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 8 months ago #41183 by Noah
You're correct Cheryl, they are group fired on this design.

The fact that one does not click could mean that that injector is shorted pulling down that whole bank, or the crossed circuit could have taken out the injector driver for that bank.

You can try disconnecting that one injector that doesn't click, then disconnect the battery and touch the terminals together to wipe out keep alive memory.
Then reconnect the battery and start the truck with the suspect injector disconnected and see if the other two come back online.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"
Attachments:

More
3 years 8 months ago #41184 by Matt T

Noah wrote: The fact that one does not click could mean that that injector is shorted pulling down that whole bank, or the crossed circuit could have taken out the injector driver for that bank.

You can try disconnecting that one injector that doesn't click, then disconnect the battery and touch the terminals together to wipe out keep alive memory.
Then reconnect the battery and start the truck with the suspect injector disconnected and see if the other two come back online.

I'm wondering if the injector that didn't click was unplugged to front probe it's connector. Wouldn't be a bad idea to ohm out all 3 injectors though.

That test has verified continuity of the control wiring as far as S131. So the problem is likely a "tripped" or smoked ECM driver or an maybe an open between S131 and the ECM.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41192 by 92explorer
yes, they are group fired off the tan wire on passenger side and off the wire wire on drivers side. I opened the entire engine harness when I put in new connector/pigtail and went back as far as the length of the pigtail would let me. Soldered in butt connectors with heat shrink. While in the harness I traced the tan wire no further damage to that wire or any other wires. To confirm ECM driver fault I will back probe pin I believe 58, the tan wire for pulse and see. .

More
3 years 8 months ago #41198 by 92explorer
Noah, the other two clicked when I had #2 disconnected and probed with test light batt ground to the disconnected wire tan ( pulse wire ) I couldn't tell you if that injector clicked because it was disconnected.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41207 by 92explorer
Ok so after verifying no clicking at any injector on pass side ( tan wire ) and still no pulse at connectors at each injector. I went to PCM to pin 58 ( tan wire ) back probed pin and went to batt pos and still no pulse. Although back probing pin 59 ( White wire, bank that's working ) I get the pulse, confirming driver is sending signal out on that side. Also confirming driver for tan wire pass side not firing injectors is bad. I'ma call it a bad PCM driver and going to swap PCM out.
Thanks to another ScannerDanner video I'm not a parts changer :)
I included a diagram showing my tests at PCM
Attachments:

• Noah
  • Give code definitions with numbers!
More
3 years 8 months ago #41208 by Noah
Nice find, good work.
Let us know when it's up and running. I had a first generation explorer for many years and still have a soft spot for them.

"Ground cannot be checked with a 10mm socket"

More
3 years 8 months ago #41209 by 92explorer
found a PCM for 36.00 in Mass out of a 92 with 95,000 miles same ford part number MT Fed ect.. was tested in truck before being removed. Cheap fix .

More
3 years 8 months ago #41281 by 92explorer
Ok, got ECM and its fixed.
Just to confirm I opened old ECM and yes there definitely is a burnt transistor for bank 1 injector pulse.
Image of old and replacement
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds