Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

91 toyota camry 2.0 was starting now no crank/no start

More
3 years 8 months ago #41168 by pandemictooth
Hello Everyone,

I have a 91 toyota camry 2.0 automatic transmission, I have changed the plugs, distributor cap, wires, fuel filter, fuel pump and a bunch of other brake system and suspension related parts to get it safe for my son. I have also put a new battery in and changed all the fluids, along with a oil filter, I had got the car working after not being used for 2 1/2 years, all I had to do is bleed the brakes, took the car out of the garage to work on my car (drove it out) with no issues, when I was done with my car I was going to put the car back in the garage but it did not want to crank. I have changed all the fusible links, I have tested the started and it tested good, I have tested power and ground from the battery to the starter successfully, I have tested power from the battery to the harness on the neutral safety switch successfully. I will be trying to test for power and ground at the ignition switch level soon. I do hear the relays clicking on the fuse block in the engine but do not have a single relay that is for the starter. To this point I am at a lost as to which direction to head, I'm thinking of checking for power and ground at the ignition switch level and if all is good there I am thinking of removing the neutral safety switch and cleaning it and giving that a try. Would anyone be able to provide any guidance on what else to check and what to look for? I am attaching the diagram that I am using to help me troubleshoot? Thank you in advance.

Thank You,
Javier Rivera

Diagram image:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #41169 by Hardtopdr2
That part of diagram is for a manual transmission. The neutral saftey switch replaces the relay and clutch safety switch. So start at the n.s.s. or starter and work your way back through circuit.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Hardtopdr2.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41170 by pandemictooth
I will be trying to diagnose the NSS tomorrow, any tips on how to dignose and what to look for?

More
3 years 8 months ago #41172 by Hardtopdr2
You will need to find a pin out diagram for the n.s.s. and check power to starter wire when turning key to start position and power to ignition switch circuits. If n.s.s. is working you should see voltage going to starter solenoid. Provided it's getting power/signal from ignition and it senses it's in park or neutral. Have you tried starting it in neutral?

More
3 years 8 months ago #41177 by Andy.MacFadyen
A bypass works well on park neutral switches

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

More
3 years 8 months ago #41190 by pandemictooth
I have tried it in neutral and still nothing, I was able to verify power to the nss harness itself yesterday

More
3 years 8 months ago #41194 by Hardtopdr2
Ok is it sending power to starter solinoid?

Other thing to check is does the map sensor, tps sensor have 5 volt reference?

More
3 years 8 months ago #41195 by pandemictooth
it was sending power to solinoid, will have to check map and tps sensors today, will keep you posted.

More
3 years 8 months ago #41196 by Hardtopdr2
Was it battery voltage? Or less than battery voltage?
Voltage at nss is what?
Voltage at starter solinoid is what?

More
3 years 8 months ago #41213 by Andy.MacFadyen
With starter solenoid a voltmeter test at the small teminnal on the starter won't tell the whole story as starter solenoid coil draws a fairly hefty number of amps so the circuit has to be loaded during the voltage test. Have you tested for a sticky starter solenoid by simple whacking the starter a few times.

" We're trying to plug a hole in the universe, what are you doing ?. "
(Walter Bishop Fringe TV show)

Time to create page: 0.285 seconds