Help us help you. By posting the year, make, model and engine near the beginning of your help request, followed by the symptoms (no start, high idle, misfire etc.) Along with any prevalent Diagnostic Trouble Codes, aka DTCs, other forum members will be able to help you get to a solution more quickly and easily!

2013 chevy sonic 1.8 liter . no crank ,no start condition

More
3 years 9 months ago #41162 by Peterpaul
2013 chevy sonic 1.8 liter . no crank ,no start condition
car was towed in two weeks ago. We are not getting any voltage to the S wire (yellow wire) on the starter with the key in the crank position. if you jump the S wire across the battery wire the car will start.

to further complicate things when you hook a scanner up, it comes up with 21 codes. We cannot clear the codes. Now for the fun part:
the ignition switch and the crank/start relay have been replaced with no help.

If you remove the three wire connector from the cam angle position sensor the car starts and runs fine. All the accessories work as well including the RPM tach . I tried to test the three wires that I saw in your video, but I didn't understand what the tests where telling me..

As you can tell my electrical experience is very weak. I have ended a thirty year career and i'm starting back in the automotive field . I have watched several of your videos and they have been helpful but I still need some scanner danner guidance to troubleshoot the system before we keep on replacing parts and I learn nothing.

I would appreciate what ever step by step troubleshooting efforts you have time for. I can be reached by phone as well . 620-506-1727

thanks again for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41164 by Cheryl
What are the codes??? I think I’ve seen this once where a bad cam sensor caused a no crank not a crank no start.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41171 by Peterpaul
the cam position sensor has been replaced . the car will still only staRt and run when the three prong connector is unplugged.
the codes are as follows:
DTC DESCRIPTION
p2227, P2228,P2229,P2230.
SHORT TO GROUND P0641, P2227,P2228
OPEN HIGH RESISTANCE
P2228,P2227,P2229
SHORT TO VOLTAGE
P0641.P2229.P2227,P2229
SIGNAL PERFORMANCE
P2227

thanks for the response AND YOUR HELP .

More
3 years 9 months ago #41173 by Peterpaul
i'm also trying to find out what the three voltage reading should be at the unplugged cam position sensor with the key on engine off.

Check the voltages at the unplugged connector with the key-on/engine-off.

thanks again

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #41186 by Tyler
Which CMP sensor, specifically? Intake or exhaust?

What are the wire colors at the sensor you're unplugging? A photo would be awesome, if possible. We can provide pin voltage information once we know exactly which sensor and wires we're talking about.

The P22XX codes all have to do with the BARO sensor... Is that sensor plugged in? Or is that the one you've been disconnecting?
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Tyler. Reason: Spes-a-ficity

More
3 years 9 months ago #41191 by Peterpaul
it is the exhaust sensor. I will take a picture of the wires in another hour when i am back at work. What about the intake CPS? Could that be the reason the that the car does not start?
I also need to check the part number for the sensor that we replaced. i'm not sure if we new that there ARE two Cam position sensors.
Anyhow,
the original exhaust cam position sensor was removed and re installed. With the wire unplugged the car starts.

thanks again for all your help.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41193 by Peterpaul
the BARO SENSOR HAS ALWAYS BEEN PLUGGED in. if we unplug the exhaust Cam position sensor the car starts and idles smooth. Also, all the accessories work as well.

thanks again for all your help.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41197 by Tyler

Peterpaul wrote: it is the exhaust sensor. I will take a picture of the wires in another hour when i am back at work.

Gotcha, thanks!:cheer:

Pin #1 - Grey/yellow, 5V KOEO, plugged in or disconnected
Pin #2 - Grey/black, 0V/ground at all times
Pin #3 - Violet/black, sensor signal. OE diagram suggests this is a pull down sensor. So, you can probably expect 5V KOEO with the sensor unplugged, and 5V or 0V with the sensor connected, depending on the position of the exhaust camshaft reluctor.

The pin numbers are looking at the female end of the connector, right to left. I only mention that because it's not impossible that someone has rewired this connector backwards before you got to it. ;)

More
3 years 9 months ago #41211 by Peterpaul
Tyler ,

thanks for the voltage readings. I will let you know Monday what the values are. I have also attached the four scan codes that came up as well.

cheers and thanks again for your help

File Attachment:

File Name: 2013ChevyS...nsor.zip
File Size:508 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: 2013ChevyS...nsor.zip

File Attachment:

File Name: 2013ChevyS...7-10.zip

File Attachment:

File Name: 2013ChevyS...7-10.zip
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler

More
3 years 9 months ago #41268 by Peterpaul
Tyler,
Good morning . I am on my way to work to perform the voltage readings and report them back to you. Is it possible for me to call you to see where to go from here after you review the readings or will it be quicker to have you reply by email?

let me know and again thanks for all your help on this.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41270 by Tyler
Check your Private Messages.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41279 by Peterpaul
Good afternoon Tyler,

I hope your Monday is going well. How do I check my private messages?

Here is the voltage results for the three wires that feed the exhaust cam position sensor:

1. pin one grey/ yellow with the connector unplugged and the key on ,with the car not running i'm only getting 1 volt. it should be 5 volts.
2. Pin two grey /black 0 volts ground at all times. Correct. I even verified the ground by hooking my test light to the positive battery terminal and the test light lit.
3. pin three violet/black sensor signal. pull down sensor. key on with the car not running. sensor unplugged 12 volts .

I will go back and check Pins one and three again with the car running..

remember , this car runs fine with the exhaust cam position sensor unplugged. the car was driven today on the road for an hour with no problem.
Thanks again for your time and patience ,
your awesome ,

More
3 years 9 months ago #41280 by Peterpaul
Tyler,

thanks again > I found my private messages. I will be in touch.

thanks

More
3 years 9 months ago #41284 by Tyler
So after our conversation, I finally got smart. :silly: P0641 spells out a 5V circuit problem, and you confirmed it with your voltage readings.

The SI for P0641 spells out the suspects. A/C pressure sensor, intake CMP sensor, exhaust CMP sensor, fuel tank pressure sensor and multifunction intake air sensor (MAF sensor). Those are all the sensors that run on the #1 5V ref circuit.

Focus on those. ;) I say unplug everything but the FTP sensor first.

More
3 years 9 months ago #41373 by Peterpaul
Thanks again Tyler for staying with me on this one and seeing it through. You are an awesome individual and a great person who gives back his time and talent to others. You are remarkable. Thanks for the lessons and your patience for a guy who has not practice in the automotive field for thirty years.
Thank you for not letting me be a parts changer:D

More
3 years 9 months ago #41378 by Tyler
No worries! :cheer:

Did you get anywhere on the stubborn Sonic?

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds